And so the mental remodeling begins. Heather requested that I write down 10 things that I love about running and post them around the house. I need to read them daily until I start believing that running is just as much a part of me as swimming and biking is.
10 REASONS WHY I LOVE TO RUN
1. I get to wear super cute (and super short) Lululemon Speed shorts that show off my tan and toned legs!
2. The shoes! Some girls like slipping into their Jimmy Choo heels, but give me my colorful Newtons and comfy Nikes anyday!
3. Simplicity. I can run anyplace and anytime with only a minimal amount of equipment (shoes and hydration)... and if I really feel hardcore, I can even run without that. I certainly can't say that about cycling or swimming.
4. The long, slow run. There is nothing better (except maybe a long, slow bike on a cruiser) for introspective thinking and flora/fauna watching.
5. Strength. Sometimes I feel powerful when I run, because just over a year ago I thought that I couldn't run. Even though I have been hard on myself as far as the run goes, I am continuously amazed at how far I have come with it.
6. I'm the 2008 Blogland 'Shave Your 5K Challenge' winner. Hey, I've had 15 mintues of RUNNING FAME and that's more than most average Joe-runners can say, right?
7. I never, ever feel guilty about eating chocolate (or pizza or cereal or ice cream) after a good run.
8. If I hadn't started running, I would have never entered the River, Roots and Ruts 1/2 Marathon and would have never known how wonderful trail running is!
9. I am fast. I may not be the first to the finish line in an endurance running event, but I have good sprint speed and a great closing kick.
10. Last but not least, running is what brought me to the sport of triathlon. All I wanted to do was run in a benefit 5K. I never imagined that running would bring me so much more.
This assignment was actually easier than I thought it would be. Perhaps I like running more than I think I do and perhaps I'm better at it than I give myself credit for.
I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs.
Jesse Owens
------------------------------------------------------------
ETA: Pixie, my beloved P2C, will undergo "surgery" next Monday. The seat tube of her frame is cracked near the seatpost. Cervelo has considered this a warranty issue and Pixie is officially damaged goods. My poor girl!
A new frame was shipped today. I opted to get the new frame in a 51cm as opposed the 48cm that I was riding. This should eliminate all of the lengethening we had to do with the 48cm due to my unnaturally long torso that sits atop stumps for legs. LBS couldn't tell me if a leftover '08 frame was shipped or if it's going to be an '09 frame, so I have no clue what the new Pixie will look like. One thing is for sure, she will still be my 'Pix E. Dust'... just with a few added cm for good measure.

9 comments:
When I lived in Houston, running was my new found religion. Nothing like a 10 miler Sunday morning with good friends and a good hot chow buffet waiting at the end. It was soul comforting.
My new religion (in Tampa) is 50 to 100 mile bike rides on Sunday.
Running IS fun. I always like to think about how strong I am running and how people who knew me in my "old life" would be blown away by how far I can run now. It's something you do all by yourself - yes with minimal equipment - and look at how far your powerful legs can take you!
Sherry! This is a wonderful post! I think that I should try something similar with each 3 disciplines, so when I am feeling frustrated with one or the other, I can go back and read them to remind myself why I enjoy doing this!
Speaking of the SY5K, I assume you received the shirt. How's it working out for you?
Ack, Vanilla! Ever have the desire to create a post and then put it off until it's not quite relevant anymore... yep, that's me with the SY5K "Championship" t-shirt.
I have to say, while the T is cute... I actually loved the certificate. I'm all about the hardware! :o)
The contest definitely capped off a good year of running.
Thanks again!!!
You have a great "10 Things" list! Let us know if the practice of posting your lists around the house helps. I've been doing something similar with one goal each week (sound familiar from camp?) and I think it's working.
You ARE a runner, and you know what? You're going to become an even faster running with the great training you're doing and the commitment you've made to yourself by hiring a coach. You rock!!
BTW...like your comment about your furry sitting on your lap (on my blog). I just had to kick both of mine off my lap because they were getting in my way!
POOR Pixie. Hope it is not too painful.
love your list. We sometimes need to remind ourselves of the "why" in the things we do.
Just found your blog. Cute template! Congrats on shaving your 5K time and winning the contest, too!
Great list, sister.
I see you managed to mention the Shave Your 5k chamPEENship without mentioning you won because I taught you everything you know.
But okay. You got that. I'm not hurt, sister.
[bitterly] But where's my parade? [/bitterly]
Today I am glad that, on the Interwebs, no one can see you cry ...
my word verification "asigh"
How true ...
Post a Comment