Scott and I arrived at the race venue around 6:30AM under chilly (48F) South FL conditions. We quickly wiggled our way through the packet pick-up line and met up with Sondra & Jeff. Jackie, my uncle's girlfriend, was also with us and was participating in her first ever 5K walk.
We met up with Kim in her winning Pocahontas costume and her cutie-pie husband, Bobby for some photo ops! And then took some of our own with the blow-up Turkey!
L-R: Jackie, Scott, myself and Sondra.
Scott, Sondra and I did a quick 1/2 mile warm-up with a few striders at the end. We then did lots of squats, side to side lunges and knee-ups while waiting for the horn to go off. I've become quite addicted to my HR monitor these past few weeks and in the few minutes before we were waiting to take off, I actually saw my HR get up to 120... while I was just standing there! Talk about adrenaline and nerves! I was ready to GO!
Sondra, Scott and I waiting for that dang horn!
About 1/2 mile to go! Feeling happy! Yes, that little kid was actually ahead of me. How do these wee ones do it??
Scott rounding the final turn with 1/2 mile to go! Ready to smash his PR! Lookin' good baby!
Sondra with less than a mile to go. Pushing hard and on her way to a new PR!
I caught up with a fellow runner during the last 1/2 mile stretch. He had slowed to a walk and I could tell that he just wasn't "feeling" his run. I offered him a few words of encouragement and we ran side by side for the remainder of the race. He later thanked me for helping him out and told me that he would never forget it. Man... THAT'S what Thanksgiving is all about!!!
I found out later that the man that I talked to above was named Matt. Little did Matt know that he and another guy that was running near us actually pushed 'me' towards the finish line. I'm quite sure that I would have slowed down a bit simply b/c I already knew that I was well under my previous 5K time and saw no need to really push anymore; however, running with them made me realize that I still had pleanty left in my legs during that last 1/2 mile and more than enough to put in a strong finishing kick at the line.
As I approached the finish line I saw that the timing clock read 23:52! I don't like to cuss in my blog, but HOLY SHIT! I was hoping and praying for a sub-26 race, but DANG, I was going to be sub-24 if I just finished strong. I kicked it out as hard as I could (hello 192 beats per minute) to finish in 23:58! YES!!!!!
I jogged it out a bit after coming through the finish shute only to notice that my awesome husband was nearly right behind me! I cheered him on as he came down the home stretch with a new PR of 25:17. I think my hubby is going to be a natural runner. If he logs 8 miles a week, that would be a lot. He's going to give his age groupers a run for their money once he ups that mileage. Congrats, baby!
Sondra came in a few minutes after Scott and also earned a new PR... 28:49! What a day for race records! Like always, she finished with a determined look on her face; those powerful legs of hers tearing it up! My firend, you have come so far in such a short amount of time. Your determination continues to inspire me.
Jackie, the only walker of our group, finished in around 42 minutes... ahead of some runners! Jackie has one of the longest walking strides I've ever seen, so her time doesn't surprise me. She really enjoyed the event and told me at T-Giving dinner that she would like to eventually start running. Yes! Another convert!
Wrapped up in Scott's warm arms at the awards ceremony.
I ended up with 1st place in my age group for my effort. Happy, happy, joy, joy! I definitely had the loudest cheering section at the awards ceremony... I LOVE you guys! They were so loud that I couldn't hear what my time was! LOL! The guy announcing the awards said that he wanted to come to dinner with me. I think he figured that it was going to be quite a party. :o) Scott and Sondra just missed out on age group awards by a few spots, but I have no doubt that they'll be collecting a lot of them come this next year.
A nice golden Turkey medal for me
With my bestest bud and friend for life!
What an amazing morning spent with family and friends. Definitely a race to remember. Conditions were just perfect for PRs (and I'm sure A LOT of them were set that day) and Habitat for Humanity was able to raise a boat load of money thanks to an awesome turn out of runners and walkers. At this point I need to do a very special shout-out to the man behind the camera... Sondra's hubby, Jeff! Jeff has become our official photographer and super-support crew! Battling reoccurring blood clots in his left leg, this awesome guy manages to still get out there and cheer us on like nobody's business! Thank you, Jeff! I hope that you know that you are a very vital part of our "team"!
I took two 1-hour naps during Turkey Day plus I slept like a baby that night... and of course, I had a case of the 'Stiffy Leg Blues'.
Next up... the Winter Waddle 5K on December 13th. That race is scaring me a bit b/c I'm afraid that I won't be able to duplicate my Turkey Trot effort! Like it was a total fluke. LOL! I'm just still in disbelief!
Hoping that all of my friends in blogworld had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!
12 comments:
Sherry, you so ROCKED that Trot girl!!! When I saw you coming around the corner and looked at the clock I FREAKED!! Your fabulous training is paying off big time!
It's always so good to see you! Bobby said you were as adorable as I said!!
If I can run AT ALL, I'm doing the waddle.
NICE WORK!!!!! Congrats on the 1st place finish! 23:58 is GREAT. Keep up the hard work and you'll keep PR'ing.
Whoa, Sherry! Kicked @$$es all around! Congrats to your hubby, Sondra, Jackie, and, most of all, you! That is just killa, sister! 23:58! You are one speedy Joisey goil!
Man, if you stay within 5 minutes of this performance at the waddle, you should be happy. What a great performance!
Now, I wouldn't be surprised if you outdid yourself YET AGAIN on the 13th, though. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
But bask in this glory for awhile. You deserve it, sister!
Oh my goodness! Way to go with the Turkey Trot Sherry! You totally rocked it! :)
YEA BABY! Now THAT's what Thanksgiving is all about :-) Hope you and Scott are having an off the wall weekend!!! :-)
That is so awesome...congrats on all fronts!!!!
Congratulations! That's an awesome PR and you are really getting fast! Don't worry it only gets better!!! Good luck on the Winter Waddle...just put it out there like you did for the turkey trot and you will surprise yourself with what you can do :->
Great job w/ the PR.... I'm excited about my first race coming up in a couple wks. I'm so glad that this Team Challenge got me back into running.... it's such a great hobby. You're awesome and great motivation to follow - I love reading your blog! :-)
Hope you & Scott had a great Thanksgiving! :-)
CONGRATS CHICA!! AMAZING JOB!!! Gosh, I remember reading a post from you a couple months back with you being frustrated and wondering if you'd ever get faster and now LOOK at you!! YAY ;D ;D ;D ;D
Nice job Sherry!! Wowza!!
yay to you for the PR!! and even better, fo feeling great the whole way through. don't even think of the next race yet, keep basking in the glow of this one for awhile. i am so excited for you!! woo-hoooo!!!
Way to go, Sherry! That's an amazing PR girl! Congratulations to you, Scott, and Sondra!
Post a Comment