Sunday, November 16, 2008

MiamiMan: Post Race Reflections

I waited longer than usual to create this post-race reflection post. I was too busy entertaining at my own pitty party this week to actually sit down and formulate a composed, rational post. Now that the crying is over and the mood has leveled, I'm here to write down words of wisdom that will hopefully aid me in future races.

In no particular order:

1. Always carry a spare of everything... to include an extra aerobottle straw extender.

2. Proper fueling for longer distance races. The carbo loading happens 24 to 48 hours before T time.

3. Pacing on the bike and the run. I averaged 19.4 mph on the bike with gusty head and crosswinds the entire 22 miles. An awesome bike split for an age-group female at this race, on this day. However, I may have been better served by dropping that average to around 19mph. I never felt winded on the bike, but sometimes fatigue on the bike disguises itself well. Pacing on the run... now I don't have a split for my first mile b/c of a watch SNAFU; however, based on the splits that I do have and my overall time, I know I ran it somewhere in the 8-8:30 range which is WAY too fast for me. Too fast even in a stand-alone 10K, let alone 6.6 miles after a swim & bike. Bad news. Better pacing here, could have meant a more pleasant last mile for me.

4. It is not about the podium. Lather, Rinse, Repeat: It is not about the podium. I could probably say this until I'm blue in the face, but b/c I have started to place in my age group in my runs and tris, I got a taste of local glory. When a person hasn't felt that kind of glory since a high school swim race more than a decade ago... damn, it feels freakin' good! The key word here... local! MiamiMan is a much larger venue with a wider pool of talent and even though I had a great swim and bike and it "looked" like I might place 3rd or 4th, I need to remember that I am not the best runner and I should have absolutely not gotten my hopes up at T2. The only thing those hopes served to do was crush me hard as all of the good runners ran right by me. This race, and every race, should be about the finish. Sometimes that's easier said than done when one is a highly competitive person; however, I shall continue to strive to remember that above all... I am a finisher.

5. Test out race day outfit... to see if it's photogenic. I'm a girl (so stop rolling your eyes out there). I want to look good in my race pictures (seriously, stop). Sloppy hair and sweaty skin aside, my race day photos are horrid. The legs of my Kiwami suit were so so long I could barely write my race numbers on my thigh. The shoulder straps weren't flattering on my shoulders. I looked dumpy! Like humpty dumpty! LOL! Okay, I'm harsh on myself... but race day photos are important to me and I'm camera shy as it is. Next time, plan race day wear early and have husband or friend take action shots!

Training plans for today
Sondra and I are meeting up with Julie this morning to go over some running strategy. We are both run challenged and Julie, as a person who could easily BQ every year for the rest of her life, is most definitely not. So we're hoping that she can perform a miracle with us... or at least guide us in the right direction. Problem this morning is that it's freakin' COLD outside. Yesterday it was 72F in the AM; today it's 51F! I don't have running clothes for this sort of cold. Yikes!

2 comments:

KimsRunning said...

Aww Sherry! I'm sorry you were feeling bad all week. I am kinda shocked though, because you had such a fabulous race!! Honestly, you are an athlete! It was your MiamiMan post that really made me decide to conquer my water fears.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and repeat after me: "I AM AN ATHLETE".

My coach always says, the first time you do a specific race is the best because you will PR no matter what, and you can enjoy your first time. 2nd time is when you pull out all the stops!

I hear ya though, I've been at my own pity party this week too...lol

Go check out GQ's blog, go back a few posts. You'll feel so much better!!

XXX

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Sherry, I'm with Kim here. You were sick and yet still made it through a GRUELING tri and never said die. Still, the fact that you are planning for next time shows some real heart, yo! Just don't downplay what you just accomplished in the process! I'm proud you're a fellow JoiseyN, even if you are a snowbird Fluorider, now.

I hope you follow Kims advice and go back a few posts at my site because I GOT YOU GOOD! I pwn U!!

Good to have you back. I missed the singular voice of your posts and comments. Don't deprive us of them for this long again OR I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT!!