Wow... just plain... wow!
Sondra and I met up with Julie yesterday morning for our first run training session. The session was so informative that I don't even know where to begin. I guess it's best to start from the beginning.
Julie told us how she likes to start the beginning of a session with an easy warm-up jog and some plyometrics to wake-up the nervous system. We did butt kicks, knee-ups, skips and strides. Fun!!! We then did some work with HR training. This is an area where I have yet to dabble and it's all just so exciting. Julie really pushed me during some of my speedbursts today and it felt wonderful. The wind was in my sails again! Best of all, Sondra and I discovered that we are not 'abnormal' runners... just newbies with lots of potential. Yay! I had absolutely no pain during the 4 miles that we covered yesterday... and that was a first. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to be pain free. I'm almost afraid to think 'pain free'. I'm afraid I'll jinx myself.
This Friday Sondra and I are having a lactate threshold test done on the treadmill in order to better gauge where our HR zones should be for Julie's prescribed workouts. My workouts for this week include some speed burst work, the LT treadmill test, a recovery/easy run and a 5 to 8 mile long run (which I'll be doing with Julie).
I was so stoked after yesterday's training session that I officially signed up for the Sarasota Grouper 1/2 Marathon on February 15th. Sondra will be signing up for the 1/2 too and Julie plans to do the marathon. I can't wait for this race! So freakin' excited!
Today is strength training and spin. Julie wants us to wear our HR monitors during spin class so that she can see what's going on when we're on the bikes. I'm going to throw it on for strength too. Can't hurt.
I think 2009 is going to be a FANTASTIC year!
Big CONGRATULATIONS to the mighty Marion on posting a BQ time at the San Antonio Rock 'n Roll Marathon yesterday. So happy for you, Mar!
8 comments:
Inspiring post, Sister! And it saves me the trouble of having to come down there and kick your butt for being too hard on yourself after finishing a tri while still recovering from the flu.
But this is more like it: Positivity up the wazoo! (But not too far up; you'll never get it out.)
Amazing what a good, strong workout session can do to brighten the outlook, huh? Keep it up, sister!
I'm looking for a half to do in early 2009, too. I'm pretty sure a half is the longest I'll ever do, but if I enjoy the first, who knows how many I'll end up trying?
Congrats to your friend for BQing! Positivity is just thrumming here on the Intertubes today!
GQ! Stop beating me here! Grrrrrr....
Sherry!! YAY!! I'm doing the Grouper full, so I'll see you there! We get a hotel for the night before. Last year all I had to do was walk across the street.
I find it kinda funny that I'm thinking of doing a tri and YOU just signed up for the half. LOL
You will LOVE the input you'll get from your coach. I know for a fact I wouldn't BE a runner if not for mine.
I'm glad you're feeling better about MiamiMan.
Congrats on the coach! Its nice to have someone else worry about planning your training. That way you can focus on doing the workouts.
You've come so far with your running Sher! I am so excited that you are planning on a half... the full can't be far behind that. I'll be done with school by next fall so I am planning on doing a full then. Maybe you'll love the half and I can convince you to try a full with me!
Glad you got your groove back and are feeling better! Good luck with the coach ...now you can just focus and getting faster and stronger!
Glad to hear the workout was awesome and it motivated you to register for a half marathon! WAHOO!
picked up your blog, I enjoy reading....
Nice job with the coach, they make everything crystal clear don't they? :)
Good to hear you've got your groove back. The coach sounds great
Post a Comment