Using a base 5K time of 28:03 (which I rounded down to 28:00), I did my first key workout last Sunday. Key workout #1 consisted of track repeats. I have no local track (well, that isn't kept under lock and key), so I did some mathematical calculations, prepared a prep sheet, and completed the session on a treadmill. The workout basically consisted of 8x400m intervals in 2:05 min (which I ran as 8x1/4 mile intervals at an 8:23 min/mile pace). This workout was challenging, but doable. I totally survived, never feeling like the end was unreachable.
Key workout #2 was the tempo run. This was the run that I was a wee-bit nervous about. It called for a 1 mile warm-up, 3 mile run at short tempo pace (9:18 min/mile), and then a 1 mile cool down. My legs felt a bit heavy for this run b/c I had done a great deal of weight training followed by a spin class the night before, but I managed to push through the heaviness. In the end, I pretty much felt the same as I felt during WO #1: challenged, but not overwhelmed.
Key workout #3 was the long run. The FIRST workout called for 6 miles at a 9:48 min/mile pace. The program does allow for warm-up miles to be included in the total mileage for the long run, so I warmed up at around a 10:54 pace for about 3/4 of a mile and then maintained the 9:48 pace for the rest of the run as prescribed. This run felt the easiest out of the three for me. My legs felt fresh and ready to go and during the last mile of the run, I wanted so badly to move 'faster' but I refrained from doing so.
So, week 1 was extremely successful. I am super happy with the plan so far and picking up the FIRST book may have been the best thing I could have done for my triathlon training.
I'm really looking forward to week 2, which consists of 5x800 intervals this time, a 7 mile long run, and a tempo. I will have to change things up a bit this week b/c I have a 5K race on the 9th. I'm thinking of swapping out the tempo run for the race. However, the tempo run calls for a 1 mile warm-up, 2 miles at short tempo pace, 1 mile easy, 2 miles at short tempo pace, and 1 mile cool-down. So, in order to meet the mileage, I may have to tack on some easy running at the end of the 5k.
Swim: 4.63 miles (8,148 yards)
Spin: 93 miles
Bike: 60.4 miles
Run: 70.5 miles
Strength: 6 BodyPump classes
9 comments:
I hate the track repeats. Those are the absolute worst for me LMAO! Totally dig the other 2 though. I'm glad you're liking it. You'll be on your way to some speedier times in not time, I'm sure ;-)
Those FIRST plans rock. It sounds like you are hitting them just right: comfortably hard. You should see some real benefit from it.
I let you a long reply in your last post about my bike trainer in case you miss it. I know I sometimes forget to check old posts for new comments
By way of encouragement, I have gotten much faster on the FIRST program. There have been a number of occasions where I failed at the prescribed training runs (either couldn't do the distance, the pace or both) but if this happens don't let it discourage you.
Stick to the distances and paces they give you as best as you can and I'm certain you'll see vast improvements.
You R-O-C-K!!!!
I've had a lot of friends use the FIRST program with great success, so have been toying with it but never made the commitment for some reason. But you know, you've "sold" me so to speak - I have the same feelings you do about balancing the training for the triathlon and really having a purpose to each run. Lately I feel like all my runs are the same, which is not the satisfaction I'd like to have. The 3 day a week, quality run makes so much sense.
So: with that said, I just downloaded the 5K FIRST program myself and plan to start this coming Monday! Today was my last "same old, same old" run!
I love having a good plan but I LOVE IT MORE when the plan comes together!! Keep it up!
I did track repeats at the track once. That was actually more fun than the treadmill, but you do what you got to do to get it done! Running the bleachers is also fun... nice workout on the quads!
Glad to hear week 1 was successful! You rock, girl!
Nicely done, Sherry! You are so awesome at being disciplined with your programs. Keep up the great work. I mean, afterall... if you do... you may be able to complete one of dem dar FULL triathlons someday. Hehehe
You could do the race and then a short tempo run after. Keep your 5k pace steady and you won't bonk on the rest. Great training otherwise!
Post a Comment