BALANCE
One of my main goals for 2009 was to focus on creating more balance in my swim/bike/run. I've written posts about this numerous times before b/c I knew that in order to start seeing the results that I wanted to see, I would have to work on bringing my run into balance with my swim & bike. Like most good things, I'm learning that achieving balance takes time. Lots of it!
I often think back to last year at this time and chuckle at how impatient I was. I wanted to run an 8 min/mile at the end of a sprint tri right then and there! Even though I had only been running for a mere 6 months of my 31 years of life, I blamed that run for keeping me off the podium time and time again! And truth be told, in most cases it was my run that was my weak link... but I failed to realize that my body needed to build up to running faster sloooowly. I tried to take short cuts (lots of miles and speed work) and ended up injured October through the end of the year.
Here I am now 1.5 years after I started running and I can still only manage a personal best of an 8:13 pace at the end of a sprint tri. But, the thing is... that pace continues to come down... slowly, but surely. Let's have a look:
May 2008- Danskin Triathlon (my first ever tri)
9:23 min/mile pace for 2 mile run (old race distance for FL event)
Swim/Bike/Run AG placement: 7/15/50+ (I was so far down the list, that I lost count)
July 2008- Heartland Triathlon
9:32 min/mile pace for 5k
S/B/R AG placement: 2/2/6
May 2009- Danskin Triathlon
8:31 min/mile pace for 5k (new race distance for FL event)
S/B/R AG placement: 6/2/18
July 2009-Heartland Triathlon
8:13 min/mile pace for 5k
S/B/R AG placement: 2/1/4
** See the balance on the run that is finally coming into play?? :o)
I now know and understand that without genetic blessings, achieving faster times in the swim/bike/run takes time. Lots of it. I wish I could put on a super-sonic running suit like the now infamous Arena X-Glide or Jaked 01 swimming speedsuits and drop 5 seconds tomorrow... but since I can't do that, I will opt for patience and persistence. If I continue to drop 10-20 seconds per mile each year from here on out (until I plateau of, course) in these sprint events, I will be elated!
So to any newbies (and yes, even I am still a newbie) take warning... the speed will come with time and that time will fly by quickly. Save yourself the headache and injury... follow a well balanced training plan from a great coach and balance will come to you as well!
THE LONG RIDE
The last few days have been about recovery. An easy spin in the small chain ring, a few easy runs to get the legs moving again, a couple of form-focused swims... but this weekend it's about the 'Big Daddy'... the 4 hour bike ride. Woo-hoo!
The longest I've ever ridden for was 3:36 or so and that went very well, so I find myself insanely looking forward to this even longer ride. To top it off, I may have very well found heaven with my new saddle-- if such a place can be found on a bike saddle. Evidently I have a larger ass (er, sitbone width) than I thought I did. Hello, 155mm Specialized Jet saddle vs. 130mm ISM Adamo. However, this wide ass is fine with that as long as I don't get any more sores on my undercarriage. Now that I have been Adamo free for nearly a week, the sore that I've had for nearly a YEAR is finally depuffing and leaving my body. Praise to the bike saddle Goddess!
The Jett- Comes in white too!
SOLD
In other news, I utilized Craig's List for the very first time and successfully sold both of our aluminum road bikes. It was a bit bittersweet to see them go (since they are what Scott and I both started all of this madness on), but they went to good homes (triathlete newbies). Now... comes the fun! Yes, we are both eventually going to get some new roadies, but my TT ride is probably going to change as well. Back to my baby wheels... and better aero position! Oh, yes... free speed!
Stay tuned...

10 comments:
You're kicking ass this year.
Look at you! All your hard work this year is paying off and the numbers show it.
So glad you found a saddle that woks too!
the sell of your two bikes will help your budget of your new sweet rides. Happy hunting.
btw - short cuts nevver work but we still try sometimes. Very nice to see that you are seeing the importance of "putting the time in"
When Arnie and I start our taper rides around October, you and Scott need to come up to Tampa and we'll show you the roads. Not that you can't do it now, but we will start around 8am then instead of 5am (which is a little more user friendly when driving from Sarasota).
It's always hard when everyone else seems so blistering fast, I swear. Great numbers, though. You have to be proud.
Do they make that seat in a 180? lol.
I'm so impressed with your running times over the course of the last 1.5 years. I keep thinking about tackling that monkey on my back.
Craigslist rocks!!!! I have bought and sold so much stuff on there. Including my road bike. It was a sweet deal, with all high end components, but since I bought it in February, it was a steal.
Keep up the fine work, you are my idol after all...
The way you feel about running is sort of like how I felt about my swimming. I'd never done any real swimming until I was 45 and it took me over 2 years to find a stroke that didn't make me nauseous and hate it. End of last year I could finally focus on getting faster rather than not getting sick. Stick with running and the speed will come!
i get so mad that i feel like i train and train and can't get under 9.45 minute miles !!!
It's always encouraging to see those numbers decrease! Keep up the good work, it looks like it's paying off!
That is some great progress. Keep it up. Patience is definitely key
Post a Comment