Monday, July 20, 2009

Extreme Caution

Oh Florida... what can I say? I both love and hate you. I love your clear blue skies (nearly daily), your warm waters and friendly manatees, your palm trees swaying in the light breeze. Hate is a strong word, but I HATE your never-ending heat, your hurricanes, your mosquitoes and your lack of topographic relief.

I'm actually overdue by my calculations for a weather related rant like this... I'm good for at least 4 a year or so, so Blogworld, please bare with me and let me complain. It won't change anything but it feels so good to whine in writing.

So yesterday I completed a brick workout in a heat index of 98F. This is pretty typical. I've been doing this now for more than 2 months. Granted, it's been a few degrees hotter than usual this year... even by Florida standards. Acclimation, you say? Believe me, I'm already acclimated and at heat levels this extreme, it doesn't really help. I noticed this morning that I've been doing an awful lot of exercising under conditions that are categorized as "extreme caution" and every now and then I break into that "danger" zone.

Yep, if worrying about alligators, Sting rays and maniac Floridian murderers (seriously, ever notice how FL attracts insane people?) isn't enough, daily tri training in south Florida also forces me to exercise "extreme caution" because, "Sunstroke, muscle cramps, and/or heat exhaustion possible with prolonged exposure and/or physical activity."

Hmph.

And so that is how yesterday's 2.5 hr brick went. After a great bike ride (wind resistance is a wonderful thing when you are sweating like a pig), I had to tackle the non-wind producing t-run and ended up walking 1/2 of it... yes, like a good girl, I exercised "extreme caution".

Par for the course, day in and day out until November.

12 comments:

cheryl said...

Be careful out there SHerry! I don't know how you do it, that heat would kill me. (and thanks for the nice comments on my blog, looking forward to hearing you tell your story too!)

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

It was raining up here until around 1. You must received the chamber of commerce weather.

The real payoff about training in this kind of weather comes when you do a race in the fall or winter, preferably away from the FL humidity.

That's my theory and I'm stickin to it.

Oldman said...

it's Africa hot! push the fluids!

Missy said...

Florida and California DO attract the crazies! Thanks gawd I live in TN;) It is hard to get out there when it's so oppresive. You get a prize, I don't care if you walked or not.

teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear you exercised "extreme caution"! Way to play it safe!

Christy said...

Girl I totally feel your pain. Oklahoma was in the triple digits for two weeks. I felt the effects and learned a very valuable lesson. HYDRATE OR DIE (quite literally)

Regina said...

You forgot the bad drivers! lol.

I wish I could have split the difference with you on the heat. We have had such a cool summer. It has been great for training, but race day is on Sunday and is expected to be hot and I may wilt like a flower in the noon day sun; I haven't had any "heat" training to acclimate.

Sounds like you are training smart. I don't know how you do it in that heat and humidity of FL. God bless ya!

Jennifer Harrison said...

UM super damn hot is right!! While in Tucson @ 112F - i thought "this is nuts!" haha....sooo fricking hot and always thirsty - never hungry (NOT GOOD) and just wanting water! So, be careful is right!! :) I hope you get some reprieve soon! :)

LittleRachet said...

You know, I was hoping for a typical hot Iowa summer to prepare me for Coz. We had a little bit, but certainly not like normal. And while I wish it would return (for training reasons, of course), I read about what you are battling and am kinda happy our weather has been so mild. UGH - you are a tough girl! At least you know how to deal with it and can apply that knowledge during your races!!

Gotta Run..... said...

now that you mention it... I think I am due for a rant... ;)

heat training is never fun. only 65 days until Augusta!!!!

beth said...

exercise caution...and exercise your right to bitch :)
everyone needs to vent every once in a while!

but yeah, all this heat training will be great if you're doing any summer races...
and sweating is sexy!

ShirleyPerly said...

I SOOOO know what you mean about the heat! Got to be careful and make sure to stay hydrated. I hope it's cooler up there in Augusta. I had a race up in Macon, GA, end of May and it was cooler and less humid there than Orlando so the extra heat training turned into free speed :-)