Friday, July 24, 2009

Countdown to Heartland

My first 'A' race of the season is on the horizon and I have been INSANELY cranky today. First I couldn't find my SPI belt (it was already in my transition bag), then I realized that we had to return the race wheels that we rented to Naples after the triathlon on Sunday lest we get charged a rental fee for Monday (makes an already long drive 1 hour longer) and to top it all off, I think I tweaked my right quad during my taper repeats last night. I KNEW I shouldn't have used the treadmill, but I had a doc. appt. in the AM so I couldn't run then... treadmill was the only option.

So... now that all of THAT is out of the way, I'm trying to zen out and just breathe for a moment. The SPI belt has been found, the wheels have to be returned (nothing I can do about that) and my quad is receiving lots of TLC and Biofreeze. I'm 95% packed and really have nothing to do the rest of the day but watch Le Tour, hydrate, eat and sleep.

Gotta talk about the wheel sets that Scott and I rented. I have been racing on stock rims and Conti Gatorskins all season (yep, heavy arse Gatorskins) so slipping on a pair of race wheels with slicks is a super special treat. Scott (a MUCH better bike handler than I am) chose to go with the Zipp 606 wheel set and I'm using Flashpoint FP60s (the budget-minded person's Zipp 404 equiv.) which is what the store had left after Scott broke up the Zipp 404 set for his 606 contraption. None of this really matters to me anyway, since I what I really want is a Hed wheel set in the end (and of course, which the shop doesn't demo).

Anyway, I have never been a believer that 'gadgets' help make a person faster- sticking hard and true to the fact that if the engine isn't there, than nothing is going to help. However, after a ride on the FP60s, I may have to rethink this logic. I did seem to be hitting a faster speed at less effort. Time will tell; it could have been a placebo effect.

I would post a picture of our demo wheels, but am completely camera-less today. I will say this, the demo stickers are LOUD and YELLOW! Scott's bike doesn't look "too" bad with them, but my bike... oh my. If anyone out there is attending the Heartland this weekend, I'll be the girl with the blue and white P2C, black and hot pink bikini, and school bus yellow race wheels! Sesame Street!!!

I'm also testing out a new saddle. After nursing a non-healing sore on my right undercarriage, I have to find an alternative to the Adamo. I've been riding on it for an entire year... in pain. I think the switch is long overdue. So, I'm on the hunt until the right saddle is found. Right now I have a new (and returnable) Specialized Jett to test in a much wider width than the Adamo. I'm hopeful, but I'm certainly not counting my chickens yet.

Good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend. Have a blast and rock the clock!

9 comments:

Molly said...

Good luck this weekend! I hear you on the pre-race crankyness. It will all subside though as you get ready to RACE!!! Have a wonderful time!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Good luck. Do you have a "sperm" helmet? I understand they take a comparable amount of time off the clock as do wheels.
I just ordered some Vittoria Open Corsa Evo tires that have the one of the lowest rolling resistances for the big race. Supposed to have 20 watts less power required as compared to a Conti 3000.
We'll see.

Chris said...

Good luck Sher! Can't wait to see the race report. I'll be thinking about you and hoping you kill it!... abd the Tour has been super fun to watch this year! Always a fan of that race...

Tri Mommy said...

After crying my way through part of a ride because of my undercarriage issues and finding that I had a bleeding wound afterwards, I broke down and got a Cobb Cycling V-Flow Plus. Two other women I knew who had very painful problems use it and their problems went away.
So, far I've used it on 2 different 25 mile rides, one of which included a bike crash, and I have had no pain whatsoever. It comes with a return policy too. You might want to check it out!

Regina said...

I am cranky too..what is that? My poor kid.

Since I know nothing of equipment, save the basics, I wont even comment. Although the terry butterfly has been kind to my undercarriage.

I can't wait to read about your race, kick some a**!! I mean, kick some undercarriage!!

tribeaner said...

See if you can find a Selle SMP Glider or Evolultion (more narrow than the Glider). They are kinda funky looking, but I've found significant relief from my Adamo with the Glider. It's worth a shot.

Also...I know someone who is trying to sell a 606 set (tubular). If Scott is interested...let me know.

And finally, GOOD LUCK this weekend! I know you are going to kill it. You are SO ready!!! Stay focused on each leg while you are in it and don't get ahead of yourself. Race your race and trust your training. You will rock!!!

Missy said...

Best of luck! Never underestimate race wheels - it really IS one way to BUY some speed, no joke. Of course you need the engine but good wheels kick ass.

http://www.cobbcycling.com/ - this is the guy who used to do saddles for Blackwell Research. I have a Blackwell but it's the same design as his V-Flow. It feels like you're sitting on rails a bit BUT I don't have any problems.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Sherry, if you guys want some high end race wheels, let me know, I can get some thru my sponsor for a steal.....and it is what I race on - LOVELY....just like Zipps.

Breathe! you are ready....go out there and get the job done! GO OG GOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGO! :)

Kevin said...

Good luck with your race tomorrow. Cant wait to see the pics of your bike with the sesame street wheels