Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hydration insanity!

Success! My longest ride ever is in the books. Seventy-one hot miles followed by a 20 minute t-run (well, run/walk)... and I lived to tell the tale.

Nutrition was the main focus of the day... and it should be b/c it's something that I'm still struggling with. However, after the long ride and today's long run, I'm realizing that calorie-wise, I'm getting pretty close (I keep upping it)... it's the actual fluid component where I'm running into problems. Frankly, I just don't know what more I can do.

THE RIDE/RUN
Scott & I started the ride at 9AM (couldn't get out any earlier due to his crazy work schedule) and in a heat index of about 90F. By the time the ride was over and it was time for the t-run, that heat index was nearly 107F! My God, who DOES this??

Anyway, I consumed 800 calories on the bike/run and... now wait for it... 190oz of fluid! Yes, 190oz in a 4:20 time-frame... you read that right (that's 45oz an hr)! And... I still didn't have to pee!

Today's 1:40 run had me seeing stars by the time it was over. Once again, heat index was over 90F (and I started at 7AM today). Intake was 220 calories, 70oz of fluid and over 1,000 mg of sodium. After all of that, I still felt a little "off" when I got back to my car. I was actually a bit afraid to drive. So, I let the AC cool me off and watched my HR carefully.

I don't know how people train like this. I'm beginning to think that just like I learned in my Environmental bio class in regards to certain hybrid breeds of cattle, that some people are cut out for the heat and other folks, no matter how hard they try, will never be heat tolerant.

SHAKIN' IN THE SHOES
While I'm happy that I was able to get through the load this weekend, Augusta is beginning to worry me... a lot. Coach Jen has promised me a few 75 mile rides and 5 mile t-runs. That scares me! Mostly b/c it's never, ever a run for me. It's a run/walk and then of course, that makes me even more afraid of Augusta. I probably should not have signed up for a summer-ish event. Georgia should be about 5-10 degrees cooler than we are at the same time of the year (especially in the AM hours), BUT that's still quite warm for a super-sweater like me. Factor in a hilly bike course and yikes... this is why I'm scared.

Even now, as the summer drags on and the training gets longer, I'm starting to feel a bit 'scared' before each workout. I don't want to DFO during a training session and end up in a hospital. Times like these make me wonder why I really want to even put myself through this. I 'could' just run during our 3 "winter" months and then swim and bike just for fitness the rest of the year. Hmmm... Oh but dang, I've got so much time invested already!

NEXT YEAR?
I am going to try to plan things a bit better for next year. Scott & I want to do Eagleman b/c it's close to our family up North, but even a mid-June event may be too late in the season as far as warmth goes. I lived in NJ for 25-years and although the heat/humidity there is NOTHING like FL, I know that every now and then the NE can get a quick burst of heat. Heck, I was married on June 20th (in NJ) and it was 90F out. So, I think I need to be cautious about that race. The only sure thing on the agenda for next year is mid-November's Beach to Battleship. No doubt, there will be cooler temps for me.

So, next year may be about finding an early season half and then doing B2B as a late season half. This way the pressure to train outside in the summertime FL heat is not nearly as great. Any suggestions for an early half? Travel is OK and very welcome if the race temps are typically cooler than 90F! Prefer the course not to have ginarmous ascents (I live in FL after all).

I'm gearing up for a recovery week this week and then Coach Jen has promised those heavy build weeks that I mentioned above. Pray for me!

13 comments:

Molly said...

Gah! Don't tell me Augusta is going to be hot! ;p j/k

teacherwoman said...

I am thinking about doing B2B Half next fall too. :)

You said you didn't have to go to the bathroon when you drank all that water?!?... you probably just sweated it out! LOL

Missy said...

Wish you were doing B2B THIS year wif meeeee! I'll give you the full low down. While not everyone is heat tolerant, there has to be something to acclimation. As long as pee is not the color and consistency of a slushy, you're good;)

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

WHAT??? IMFL 10... lady!! By next year my Wednesday night pre race party is certainly going to be world famous, so how could you pass that up? Plus, 2BR condos on the beach (next to the venue) for the week are only $400.

No comment on the heat today other than I feel your pain (literally)

Rachel said...

Hi Sherry... That is awesome what you did! It's amazing how dedicated you are with your training and making yourself the best you can be whether it's on land or in the water or both! :-)
Thanks for sharing all your training.... it's great motivation & inspiration. :-)

Regina said...

Boy do I know what it is like to second guess yourself, it's like my favorite pastime. However, I have no doubt about your abilities to not only do this race, but to do it well.

As for the heat, well, we haven't had any of that up here. All your hard training in it though will pay off and you will acclimate, I am sure of it. You will discover in training what works for you and what you need to make it all work (seems like you are already on top of it).

Nor sure if I read your meaning right, but I don't think there is any shame in a run/walk. You do what you can to finish the job you started. I know from reading your blog for many months, you are a finisher. Not just in races, but in training and in the goals you set for yourself. Take pride in that.

If you do get your booty up here for Eagleman, I will definitely come to cheer you on (doubt I'll be ready for a race like that!).

Jennifer Harrison said...

Only when I spent 3 days in 112F temps in Tucson (and it is monsoon season, so their air is not 'as' dry) did I understand how horrible it is to drink enough. You almost can't. That is how I feel @ IM Hawaii too - just so hot. Ick. YOU are doing everything you can, right, Sherry....

How about REV3's OLY or 1/2 IM in Knoxville, TX in early May? I think I am doing it. That will be warm, but should not be miserable.???

Oceanside is super and coming from FL not too bad - err, wait, it is SO hilly (for us flatlanders)...the bike is, not the run.

Hmmm.

Sherry said...

Hey, thanks for the pep talk everyone! I know that I'm doing everything that I can at this point. I'm as acclimated as I'm going to get, I'm continuing to train outdoors (unlike last year when I ducked inside from July through September), and I'm not giving in! Not at all!

I just think that for next year I need to be a "bit" more wise in regarding my race picks. Coach Jen will get me through that... :o)

Wishing everyone a fantastic week!!!!

LittleRachet said...

Lone Star Half in Galveston (end of March) is a great race! And F-L-A-T!!! I've done it once and loved it. It is on my radar again for next year. We'll see....

Oldman said...

ya gotta leave earlier to beat the heat from the sun.

Chris said...

Hey Sher! You amaze me, great job this weekend! That is a hell of a ride! Part of the training is the doubt that creeps up - this is where the mental aspect of training and racing is done. So you let those fears creep in and them send them on their way. I heard this great quote one time about dealing with fear - "Hug the monster".
You are going to do this thing and ,even more important, you know you can do this thing! Keep up the great work!!

Kevin said...

We have half in Macon, but that one is usually hot/humid since it is in may an MAcon is apparently like a swamp. There is a half in NC (White Lake) in the beginning of may. I dont know what the elevation is like but from what I understand the weather is cooler. The only thing is you need to register as soon as it opens up because it fills super quick.


I am not sure how the weather will be for Augusta. Last year's SC half was the last week in Spet. It was fine on the bike, but by the run it was getting a little hot on the stretch with no shade. We may get lucky and get an early cold front.

ShirleyPerly said...

I can sooooo relate to this post! It is never easy to train in this heat, even when you do everything right (I'm drinking crazy amounts like you mentioned too). Gah, why aren't there any tris in the winter when it's relatively cool here???

Oh well ... the only half I know of around here early in the year (April) is the Gator Half Iron (see www.tntraces.com). In fact, I might do it next year if I can work it into my race schedule.