Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Define yourself

The August 2009 of Runner's World includes a short "sport's psychology" blip from the amazing Deena Kastor. Evidently the mantra that she used during her win at the 2005 Chicago marathon was, "Define yourself." Basically, "define yourself" breaks down to the fact that your, "finish stays on your resume for a lifetime." Everything that we do, every effort we put into something, every outcome that we achieve... is attached to our good name. It makes me think of the end of the movie The Crucible where Daniel Day-Lewis' character refuses to sign an admission of guilt because it's his 'name' that he would be writing down.

Scott and I visited Memphis this past weekend for a whirlwind family wedding. While we were there we decided to take in local 5K race to see how well we could handle the rolling hills that surround the outskirts of the city. Living in a land of pancake flatness (yes, Florida pancakes are truly flatter than pancakes in other parts of the country) and training only occasionally on Florida hills (aka: bridges and highway overpasses), we both knew that this run would be a test of both our physical and mental conditioning.

At mile marker 2, I had my doubts. By this point I had already wanted to stop and walk at least three times and the idea of running another mile on hilly terrain was nearly too much to handle. That's when I decided to "define myself." I had to represent Florida, I had to represent my coach, I had to represent triathlon in a community of pure runners... and most of all, I had to represent myself and the hard work that I have put in since February. As I crested the final hill and summoned up as much energy as I could to actually run (not coast) the downhill to the finish line, I concluded that no matter what my finish time was that I did indeed "define myself" in the way that I wanted to. The icing on the cake was an unexpected 1st place AG finish and while I was a minute off of my "flat" Florida PR, I did run this very hilly course in a time that is similar to a race that I ran on Florida flats this past March (similar hot/humid conditions too). That being said, there's no doubt that my run has improved.

Define yourself. A sweet little mantra that can be applied to life in so many ways. It helped get me up and over that last hill when it really hurt and now I'm hoping that it will see me through a crumbling job market as I try to define where I truly see myself in these tough times.

And now for some pictures of what I've been up to over the past few weeks:

Making The Villages, FL our own by "illegally" riding on the back of a golf cart.

Life IS good! Ready to tackle the hills of central FL.

Triathletes clean up well!

You know you're a triathlete when your tan lines JUMP off the photo!

Returning to Graceland after a 20-year absence.

Scott's new toy (er, MY new toy). I could not put this thing down.

9 comments:

Oldman said...

Sherry

Yes people do read your blog. I ride with the Estero Flatlanders from the Bad Ass Coffee Shop Sat & Sun at 7 am. Join us?

We are having a Tour de France Party Fri July 24 at The Grape 6:30 pm $30 per person benefits the Shelter for Abused Women & Children of Naples.

Maggs said...

Congrats on your 1st place AG

Regina said...

Well, I was wondering where you have been? Good to see you!!

congrats on the race. I'm really impressed you killed those hills. NYC is pretty flat, but you can find hills if you want (and our coaches have found them in multitude).

I hope the comment you made about the job market doesn't mean things have gone badly for you. I freelance, so I am familiar with the terror that goes hand and hand with a bad economy.

Congrats again on the race, and you DO clean up well!!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Way to represent the Sunshine State!! We have been holding down the fort while you have been away.

teacherwoman said...

Great post! And, great pics!

LittleRachet said...

Congrats on your 1st place finish! Unexpected or not, it was well deserved!

Christy said...

Congrats! That's amazing....

and what a great way to remind us to stop being slackers...and taking the easy way out...

Regina said...

sorry to post again, but I only just saw your comment on my first tri. Thanks so much for your kind words. It means a lot coming from you. Looks like we both have a race next Sunday. Good Luck!! Kick A**!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Great job on the 1st place in your age group!!! All that hard work is paying off. I don't think anywhere in the country compares to florida's heat/humidity so even though you don't have hills reconsider that you get incredible training learning to run better in the heat!