One of the pains about competing in South Florida triathlons is that chances are, between May and October the event will most likely not be wetsuit legal. April and November are 'sketchy' at best. This, obviously, leaves one in a predicament where the swim is concerned. If you wear anything other than a tight fitting tri suit or competition swim suit, you have major drag. Tri shorts/tanks, etc... just don't really work for non-wetsuit swims. Now, I could go out and purchase a swim skin and then swim with whatever I want underneath, but I really don't want to do that at this point. I also really don't want to wear a tri suit b/c I find them to be too HOT on the run segment and waaaay too many of them come with dragalicious pockets, zippers and inseams down to my knees.
So, I'm taking the competition swimsuit approach. I did this for the Orlando Women's tri last year and except for some chaffing on the bike (silly me didn't know to lube the saddle), it worked very well.
Escape from Ft. Desoto (Apil 11th) may or may not be wetsuit legal, but I'm erring on the side that it won't be and hence, I purchased two new suits to start the year off right. I am excited! My main problem now... which one to use?!? I'll be putting a Skirt Sports race belt skirt on in T2. Here are my options:
Right now I'm leaning towards the blue suit with black race belt skirt, pink cap, and pink Newtons. Although if Pixie comes back to me on Monday with her pink bar tape still in tact (meaning that the replacement frame that arrives will still be black and grey), the black suit with the pink swirls will probably look really sharp.
Choices, choices...
I may also opt for a minimal over the shoulder boulder holder under the swimsuit. I didn't wear one at the Orlando Women's Tri, but the suit was a poly suit and it was SUPER tight across my chest. These are thin strap lycra/spandex suits and a wee bit more relaxed through the body. In either case, the bra will be thin strapped and black.
Your thoughts?
Training updates
Today's swim workout included an 800 yard time trial. I haven't done an 800 TT since last October and I didn't swim AT ALL during the month of December through the middle of January, so I was a wee bit nervous. All went well today. I dropped 8 seconds off of my average 100 yard pace and am now officially a "blazing" (LOL) 1:38 swimmer (sans flipturns)! Seriously though, I'm really quite proud. That's a lot of time to drop on limited amounts of practice.
Tomorrow is a double brick (15 bike/2 run/15 bike/2 run) and I'm both anxious and excited about it! My goal is to be VERY aware of my pacing. I have a very bad habit of going out too fast. Sunday is an OWS with Scott and Sondra. Jeff is kind enough to shuttle us out into the Gulf as long as we are willing to chillax (thanks, Bree) afterwards while he and Scott fish. No problemo! :o)
SUPER GOOD LUCK WISHES to all of my buds racing in IM 70.3 New Orleans and IM 70.3 California! Rock the clock!!!!
4 comments:
I like the blue/black ensemble and I would also wear the bra underneath as well.
LOVE both outfits - I think I like the pink the best!
We are indeed going to have a Florida chamber of commerce day for riding / running today and Sunday, aren't we??? I am actually looking forward to the 70 miler.
Sorry, I am not a fashion expert (Garanimals kind of guy where you match the numbers), no comment on the outfit.
Love them both. Since this is a "breakout" year for me in terms of trying new things, I say pink because it would normally not be the one I would choose. The designer in me is also very drawn to the "ribbon" design; kind of mid-century modern.
You can't go wrong with either though.
thanks for your thoughts on my ankle. Good Luck!!
Post a Comment