Sunday, October 12, 2008

You mean my glove doesn't go on my foot??

Sondra and I headed out to Gasparilla Island yesterday morning to complete a 30 mile bike ride followed by a 5k brick run. I was really looking forward to this training day because the volume was exactly what I needed at this point in the game for MiamiMan. It was probably overkill for Sondra's sprint, but she's so fit that I knew she could handle it.

We arrived on Gasparilla Island a bit after 9AM after driving through more fog than one can imagine. Gasparilla is pretty friendly to bikers... of the cruising kind. This was only my second time on the island and the when I was there last week I thought I had seen more safe straightaways for those on road bikes. Alas, my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Nevertheless, it was a really great opportunity for Sondra to get used to her new tri bike and clipless pedals and for me to see if the stem adjustment that was made to Pixie helped me get more comfy.

We did a relatively easy 20 miles to start with. Way too many stops, starts and yields, but also a nice 4 mile straightaway to really pick up some speed. Thanks to the stem adjustment, I no longer have pain in between my scapulae. I was much more comfy on this ride than on any previous ride, but still not as comfortable as I am on my road bike. I don't know what 'else' could possibly be adjusted. All that I know is that there's no way I could hold an aero position for 60 miles straight in order to do a longer training ride. Any suggestions out there? Also, my quads were working SO hard yesterday... burning quite a bit (I never used to feel this on my road bike). Is this normal when switching to a tri bike? Is it perhaps a fit issue? Maybe I just need to ride more? I thought I read that the steeper seat tube angle of the tri bike was supposed to help save the legs for the run. I'm riding in the forward most position on my P2C which is about 78 degrees. Maybe this is too steep to start with? I'm a bit discouraged at this point in the game... thinking that perhaps I should have just purchased a good road bike and not a tri bike. Perhaps the aero position isn't for me? Talk about having a lot of doubts...

After completing 20 miles, we decided to stick in the run. It was already getting close to noon and it was HOT! Hot as Hades hot! At least up around 88F. I'm sure that with the humidity, the heat index was mid-90's. So we set out to complete our 5K. 1.5 miles later... we were finished! To continue to run in that sort of heat just wasn't safe. We both looked and felt whipped!

At this point I knew that I was behind the 8-ball as far as fluid intake goes despite having drank most of my initial hydration supply already (approx 56oz of Propel/H2O mix) + 1 AccelGel and 1/2 nutri-grain bar. When I was getting myself ready to get back on the bike, I tried to put my cycling glove on my foot (like a sock). I then nearly got on the bike without putting a helmet on. Yeah... these probably should have been my clues to actually 'stop' at this point. I decided to pop two Endurolytes and get on with the training plan. In hindsite, what happened with the glove/foot was scary. This morning I am reminded how important it is to dial in nutrition/hydration. The last 10 miles of cycling went on relatively painlessly except for the fact that I could not keep up with Sondra to save my life. She's a fantastic cyclist... most definitely capable of holding 20 to 21 mph in a sprint distance. I'm about a 19 mph girl at that distance. Gotta work on those quads! :o)

Around 1:30PM we called it quits. Ended up having a fantastic lunch at the 'Loose Caboose' and then drove to Fisherman's Village where we both picked up some colorful swim caps and Sondra purchased a pair of Costa del Mar's to cycle with. They are blue mirrored and gorgeous. Can't believe that sunglasses can be that lightweight. Wow!

Met the guys back at Sondra's house (they had been out fishing) and we all nearly crashed after a day in the blazing heat. Chomped on some pizza for dinner (not a slice was left), made the drive home and crashed again.

Today... an interval run is on the agenda and perhaps an easy afternoon swim. This evening... hoping for a very loooooong night's sleep. Nope! The better bet... rest and recovery. Friday & Saturday were wicked brutal.

KIM... congratulations on your half marathon finish. Girl, I can totally appreciate the conditions that you ran in yesterday. That was some brutal stuff!!!

ETA: I ordered the Infinit Nutrition sampler 6 pack this morning. I really need to get this nutrition thing under some sort of control. In the midst of bike purchases and FIRST plans, I seem to have forgotten what is perhaps the most important element of endurance training.

4 comments:

KimsRunning said...

Hi Sherry!
I so feel for you in this post. Yesturday was so crazy! It should have been a little cooler up in Sarasota but it sure didn't seem that way. Next time you wanna wear your gloves as socks, CALL me. I'll come get you. That is very scary. Besides that though...you two did remarkably well regardless of the conditions! Imagine November's weather!!! Can't wait!!

Jim said it was the IT Band too, to ice and rest it. It's killing me right now. It's swollen. I have a full marathon in 6 weeks and I can barely walk right now. I'm scared.

Tell me everything you know about this, PLEASE!

teacherwoman said...

Wow. Sounds like your ride took a lot out of you. And I thought my 28 miles was tough. You're still battling the heat, and here we are battling fall-like conditions that could possibly be turning to winter-like conditions. so weird.

I can't really help you in regards to the aero position on a tri bike. I don't have any experience with that, but I am sure someone will. Don't let it doubt yourself. You're just getting used to that bike! :)

Happy Sunday. Enjoy your intervals run and swim!

Anonymous said...

Infinit is GREAT! Several I use it and it is perfect for me. I hope it works for you.

Gotta Run..... said...

Now that is a mega workout and I am sure the heat was a killer. GREAT JOB girl!!

I am learning that YOU MUST stay ahead of the fluids and fuel. Once you crash is is likely that you can recovery enough to feel better.

Keep at it!