My husband calls it "DFO" as in "Done Fell Out." I guess this is paramedic for speak for "person up and fainted." Yep, that's exactly what this horror film loving, former Air Force Medic who has seen her share of blood and guts (including watching her brother-in-law embalm bodies) did this afternoon. I accompanied my grandmother to a surgical consult for what 'may' be a recurrence of early stage breast cancer. The surgeon decided to do the biopsy right then and there. He asked me if I was okay with watching the procedure and I was like, "Oh yes... I've seen worse things than an itty bitty biopsy." I watched the entire procedure, soothing my grandmother and not once even thinking about the procedure itself; other than the fact that I thought it was fascinating how they used the ultrasound to guide the needle. So that's how my afternoon went. How was yours? LOL!
Training update: My husband's athletic trainer friend SAVED MY FEET! I can run again! Yee-haw!! He sent Scott home with these moist jelly like pads (Spenco 2nd skin). I've never seen anything like them before, but darn do they work. I wrapped my blisters up with them this morning and voila... a pain free, easy 5 mile run ensued. Since this is only the third time in a little less than 2 weeks that I've actually been able to run, I do feel like I lost a wee bit of fitness. However, I'm confident enough that I'll be fine for MiamiMan. I may have to run at a slower pace than I had anticipated, but I should make it through... providing I don't have some sort of fainting spell! Argh!
On the agenda for tomorrow: Hoping to get in a 30 mile bike and a swim. Will have to see how I feel in the AM. I felt very washed out after my fainting episode, but feel better now. It's just a bit weird to know that I lost consciousness for a moment. A bit freaky. I have a speedwork session planned for the weekend and some more swimming. I know that this week coming up is a taper week, but I can't help but feel the irrational urge to train hard. I do not feel adequately prepared for MiamiMan. My confidence has taken a nose dive b/c I really haven't been able to do much running over the past 2 weeks. However, I am smart enough to know that nothing I do this next week will improve my situation, so why overtrain. That being said...
Goal for MiamiMan = finish!
8 comments:
Oh Sherry. That so would have been me fainting in that hospital room. Poor girl.
"irrational urge to train hard..." you're not the only one that struggles with this during a taper week!
I hope your grandmother is okay.
You used to be in the AF? Me too.
Hope your feet feel better. Good luck in the race.
hope your Grandmother is going to be ok.
Ive used something similar for the blister,it does help some.
I hope your grandmother is okay!
I'm sure you'll recover fully from your bout of fainting. Personally, I think consciousness is overrated. The cure for consciousness? Beer.
But your way was good, too.
The "irrational urge to train hard" deserves the same level of fame as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: It is ubiquitous enough to deserve to be known by its own acronym.
Henceforth for me, it's IUtTH, pronounced "EyeYOUTH".
Make it go viral, people. (Listen to HIM! Giving orders on someone else's blog!)
Good luck in Mee-Aa-Mee!!
LOL about fainting. Hope your grandmother is okay!
I hope your Grammy will be ok. That is very scary. I'm glad you were with her! I can't believe you fainted!! You're lucky you didn't hurt yourself. You can put your body through Hell for your tri's but you faint at the doc's....kinda funny....teehee...xxxooo
As you see from GQ, I'm not the only beer freak on the web....lol
sher - what a week you've had!! the rain, the blisters, the fainting! oh my, you are due for a perfect race for miami man - and it WILL happen. it can't rain at every event! and my 2 cents as far as poor race directors/event management - i don't go back the next year. they are too expensive and you spend too much time training to expend energy on races where they don't have their s*?% together. The only exception i make is if it is an inagural event -then i cut them some slack.
OMG! That is scary. Good thing it happened in the hospital.
It's definitely interesting watching procedures when they use ultrasound, x-ray, or ct scans to guide them in
Hope everything is ok with your grandmother
Post a Comment