Friday, August 15, 2008

Playing the waiting game

Like so many others who seek out the P2C, I am officially playing the waiting game. I must have been out of my mind to 'expect' that the dealer would have "my" bike waiting for me there. Argh. The day pretty much went like this.

We arrived at Village Bikes in Sarasota (who also works with Heather Gollnick, which is pretty cool) and Ed was helpful as always. He had no P2C's in stock, but wanted to fit me on a P2-SL so that at least he could order the correct size and go from there. Made sense to me. He pulled down a 51cm bike first. I am just a hair under 5'6", but I have a long torso and short legs. My current road bike is 52cm and I have had my doubts about that size frame. When I'm not in my aerobars on it, I tend to ride in the drops (b/c I can reach the breaks better). I learned from Ed that this sounds like my bike is too big on me. We checked out the 51cm anyway and the bike seemed a bit big. We could have "made" it fit by cutting the seatpost down (like Trek did on my road bike), but Ed said that all that means is that the geometry of the bike is off for me... so why try to 'make' it fit. I wish Trek hadn't tried to 'make' my road bike fit. Grumbles to them! I now have a 48cm P2C on order. It should arrive in about 1.5 weeks and then I get to go back to Sarasota and start the process all over again.

So, that's the deal with the bike... the waiting game.

Did my quasi-long run with adjusted FIRST paces last night and it was one of "those" runs where you just don't feel like you have any steam. I pushed through it though... glad to be done. Sunday starts week 2 with the adjusted paces... and it's an interval day (my favorite b/c I like the pace changes).

5 comments:

Kevin said...

These next one to two weeks are going to be tough. Waiting every day wondering if it came in. I think my road bike was big for me too (60 vs 56 on my tri) but luckily I didnt have to cut the seatpost. Cant wait to hear your first post once you get your new bike

Anonymous said...

Gack, waiting! I'm impatient for you, just thinking about it.... and sizing bikes seems so complicated. It seems so hard compared to the shoes for running, I guess biking just inherently needs more gear. Then again, shoes are complicated to get right too. I'm glad the Village Bike people did a good job for you.

And stick with it for FIRST, I'm wrapping up week 2, and even this early I can see how smart it is, my running seems more purposeful. Good job pushing through the run :-)

KimsRunning said...

Hey there!!
I am thrilled for you getting your bike! My husband is DROOLING....LOL. (Back it up Bobby). I'm sorry to hear you have a cold. Mine hung on for over 2 weeks, screwing up my training but I'm BAAAAAACK! Ran the Hurricane in 27:52. New PR BABYYYYYY! Still slower than you. Lucky you're so freakin' adorable!! (and NOT in my age group)

XXX

KimsRunning said...

Rest when you have a cold!!!! ARG....LOL...I have to run to the store for Hurricane munchies. Chips are on the list. Ok, beer is too...lol. Bobby is stuck at work, Publix is CRAZY right now...I ran 10 miles with Ed this morning. 1:52. Feel great!! I'm tired from all the hurricane hoopla though. Please not again....

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the bikes.

I have always felt that mine is too big for me. I should also have guessed when they told me all I needed to do was get a shorter stem??? Hmmm. I will know for next time!

Waiting is going to be impossible.