Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fay, Fay... Go Away (or maybe not)

So Tropical Storm Fay is upon us and DH and I spent the last 2 days preparing for a storm that we hoped would not turn into another Hurricane Charley at the last minute. Thank goodness it remained a TS.

I was really hoping for it to just disintegrate all together before reaching us. Call me hardcore, but I did not want to lose my Tuesday workouts to the storm. Time is precious! LOL!

However, Fay gave me something that I really needed last night. An outdoor run. It was 7:30 PM and I had just arrived home from spin class. I had no plans to do a run, but when I got out of the car and the breeze hit me... le sigh. It was too good to pass up. I saw another runner fly by the house and that pretty much solidified it. So despite giving 6 tubes of blood for a physical that morning and working hard at spin, I strapped on my sneaks and set out for a glorious, breezy pre-Fay run. I figured that the remaining daylight would only let me do 2 easy miles, but by mile 2... I couldn't give up the weather. So, the 2 miler turned into a 3 miler.

After the intense FIRST workouts that I've been doing, it was a pleasure doing a super easy run... and a run that didn't have any training purpose. I just went for a run... to run. Possibly a first for me since basically all of the running that I've been doing since last December has all had a 'purpose'. Yesterday's run was just about capturing a rare 'coolish' moment during a super hot SW Florida summer.

Today... well, the gym is closed due to the storm; the pool is closed due to the storm. It's a bit 'too' stormy to run right now... but maybe later. We shall see. If not, it's an unscheduled rest day.

10 comments:

Marcy said...

Ohhhhh be careful! I worry about you homies down South.

It IS nice getting a break from the "running with a purpose" eh? ;-)

Rick said...

Neat post, Sherry. I do pray y'all are ok with the storm passing through. My aunt and grandma live in Cape Coral so, I have been concerned about them as well. Way to seize the opportunity. Be safe.

Gotta Run..... said...

I love that you could not pass it up. Now aren't you glad you got that run in before the weather sets in.

ECrunnergirl said...

Its amazing how the cool breeze and calmness before a storm can bring out the real runner in us. Stay safe in that weather. I'm up on the east coast in Va. Beach and it looks like we dodged the bullet. Best wishes....

KimsRunning said...

You make me feel so guilty. I went and got a case of beer to sit out the storm, you go for a run....LOL

Anonymous said...

Hope you are doing ok over there, I saw on the news that the storm is turning back and heading for a second landing... stay safe! I hear you on the tempting run, that wet smell and cool breeze is alluring. Running after spin is *hard*!

teacherwoman said...

spin and a run! Nice job Sherry! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, keep safe.

Kevin said...

Great job going out there and running . Stay safe

Anonymous said...

LOL I went out for my post-Fay run this morning and my tempo run had to be run by perceived effort instead of pace--nothing like running into a 20mph headwind!

Glad Fay turned out to be mostly a dud. Here's hoping for a quiet season!