Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Modifying my FIRST 10k plan

Thanks so much for the congrats, blog friends! I appreciate it!

Today begins the first day using my new FIRST calculations based on my 5K PR of 26:23. I'm shaking in my shoes! LOL! I guess my previous FIRST workouts didn't feel as difficult as everyone was saying that they were b/c my fitness level was better than I had calculated. I believe that's ALL going to change after my interval workout today. I'm not kidding... I'm shaking in my shoes! Here's the workout looks like:

Key Workout #1- Intervals (aka track repeats) done on treadmill at 1% incline

1 mile warm-up building to 7.0 mph

Repeat the following group 4 times for a total of 4 miles:
1/4 mile at 7.6 mph (which is a 7:54 m/m pace)
1/4 mile at 5.5 mph (10:54 m/m recovery pace)
1/4 mile at 7.6 mph
1/4 mile at 5.5 mph

1 mile cool down ramping down to a 3.5 mph walk

I've never run faster that 7.2 mph on the treadmill... never, ever! I don't think I've ever held a 7:54 pace for a 1/4 mile... let alone holding it 8 times! Yes, I am expecting a challenge and if I give it my all, I am expecting great returns as well.

Keep me in your prayers! LOL!

Swimming- I've been lax about swimming lately, but I've got a workout planned for later on this afternoon. Still contemplating attending the Total Immersion clinic. I need to decide on that soon or the date will come and go and then there won't be a decision to make.

Cycling- been doing mostly spinning these days... anywhere from 45 to 60 miles per week. I want to get back outside, but it's sooooo darn hot out and I'm such a wimp. August is the epitome of torture in South Florida.

I am placing an order & scheduling a fitting for my tri bike this week... so that should motivate me. I decided to go with the Cervelo P2C Ultegra package. Decided against the Dura-Ace package b/c the mileage that will be doing on the bike doesn't warrant the extra $500... and with that money, I can buy an aero helmet and start a piggy-bank for some race wheels. I also prefer the black and silver color of the Ultegra version to the red and white, classic 'Cervelo' design of the Dura-Ace package. I think it will fly under the radar better. :o) Anyway, here it is:

CerveloP2C Ultegra... soon to be in my possession

ETA: I made it! I completed my FIRST interval run at my new prescribed pace. It was definitely more challenging than the pace that I was using previously; however, I made it through... without puking (or even feeling anywhere near puking). Yay!

ETA Part 2: I made the appointment! I'm getting fitted to my new bike on Thursday! Super duper excited!

8 comments:

Sara said...

Congrats on the PR and holy cow that is one scary treadmill workout!! I hope it goes great!!

What a beauty that bike is - you are going to rock the tris in that thing!! So jealous!

teacherwoman said...

I think the highest speed I've gotten up to on the Treadmill was MAYBE 7.2mph.... and then I thought I was going to fly off. ALl I think about is the runners that run at this pace for long distances! geez!

Nice bike! Very nice!

lookin' good, Sherry!

KimsRunning said...

Awesome workout Sherry! My husband is gonna drool over that bike....LOL

Kevin said...

You should definitely see some great improvement by adjusting your training to match your latest race.

That bike is sweet. You will really be kickin butt on that ride

RoadBunner said...

That is a sweet bike.

Anonymous said...

Sherry, inspired by your posts on deciding on the FIRST program, I started mine for a 5K last week... and had the same experience as you. My first speedwork was okay, but not the challenge I knew it should be. So I went to a couple good pace calculators and plugged in a 2mile time-trial - and realized that while my easy pace and tempo pace were dead on, I needed to speed up the speedwork.
First round of the new paces was yesterday, and yep, it's doable! And the right challenge too. All this to say, you can definitely do it. Trust yourself :-) And that awesome feeling when its done!

Anonymous said...

ooooh pretty bike!

My sister has just gotten herself a new tribike and she has been sitting stroking it for the past couple of days.

Gotta Run..... said...

So many are getting fitted on their bikes these days. Seems like the thing to do!!

Great report on adjusting and stepping up the pace!! keep it up!