Monday, January 11, 2010

Happy 2010... a week late!

Oh dear.  It's been a while again, hasn't it?  I hope this doesn't become a permanent blogging trend of mine for 2010.  I feel terribly guilty about not getting around to read my buddy's blogs, let alone updating my own.  Egads.

So, let's get down to business.

My news:
Christmas/New Year's came and went.  I've been down for the count from running basically since December 19th when my right IT band pretty much went to hell in a handbasket.  I ended up taking 2 weeks off from everything to start with.  It was actually a good break... both physically and mentally... but my main goal was to let my IT band rest completely.  After two weeks of sporadic icing, stretching and foam rolling, I did a short run test.  I made it 1 mile into an easy run and then the pain returned. 

So, I took a third full week off from running, but added cycling back into the mix.  At the end of the 3rd week (which was last Thursday), I did another test run.  Two miles went ok.  I thought I felt a little 'tweeky' near the end of that particular run, but I concluded that it was not my IT band; just 'tightness' from having not run for 3 weeks.  Stupid.  The next day I decided that I was going to do a very easy mix of jogging/walking.  Well, I made it half way into the first 5 mintue jog session and BAM!  Pain.  I stopped immediately... and walked.  Acceptance.

This morning I made an appt. with the sport's med doc that Sondra has been seeing (who finally diagnosed her with an acetabular labrum tear last week after an extensive round testing).  My appt. is on Thursday.  I'm excited.  I want this looked at and taken care of... yesterday.

With acceptance comes the fact that my Spring/Summer race schedule will probably not be what I hoped it would be. Let's say it takes another month of rest and PT to get my IT band back on track.  Let's say that brings me to the first week in March.  At this point I would have not put in a single run for 10 weeks.  St. Anthony's Oly tri is April 25th and IMFL 70.3 is May 16. Could I possibly be ready for either of these?   'Maybe' I would be able to do these if I allowed myself to be OK with Gallowalking the run, but I'm not certain if I would truly be OK with that.  So, lots to think about and I don't want to jump the gun OR hurt myself further.  St. Ants allows transfers to next year's race up to the middle of March (albeit with a $75 transfer fee), but I would have to eat my IMFL 70.3 entry fee.  In the end though, being healthy is the goal.  I have the rest of my life to race.

In the meantime, it's all about MY MAN!  Scott is training hard for the Gasparilla Half Marathon on Feb 28th and I can't wait to see how he'll do.  He's come a long way over the past 2 months with his running.  It's pretty impressive.  I'm very proud of him.

In race news:
I was unable to do the River, Roots and Ruts Half Marathon Relay with Scott this year b/c of my injury, and Kim (whom I am eternally grateful) helped us out by stepping in and running in my place.  The two of them did amazingly well and Kim did me very proud as Sherry!  They beat the time that Sondra and I ran last year by 4 minutes... so next year, I've got something to prove!  Mwahahahahah! Be sure to read Kim's report of the event on her blog, Kim's Running. She has a few more pics posted as well.  Here are a few pics from the great day! 


Prepping before the race


The chip switch!  And Scott's OFF!


Running towards the finish line together!

In other news:
Scott and I went to a Disney wedding on 28th of December.  It was a truly magical experience (no pun intended).  A few pics from the event.


Pre-wedding shopping (excuse my 100% make-up-free face)!  Orlando: One of only three Lulu outlets in the US! Warning: very slim pickings for smaller sizes. The sales associate said that when the Canadian folks are on holiday, they all run to the outlet and scoop everything up! Fun times, nevertheless.


Happy Times! Let's get married again, sweetie!


Yum!  That salmon was cooked right in front of us!  Sooo good!


Look at that magical cake!  And the magical couple!


Dessert table! Chocolate fondue heaven!


Night picture.  I did not have tripod with me so I'm surprised this even came out.  The Magic Kindom castle is just behind them and to the left of the frame.

6 comments:

Regina said...

Poor you! I am always battling my ITB, and poor Sondra, I have two labral tears, one for each hip. It sucks getting old!! (I mean me, or course!)

You are wise to take it easy. You'll be the better for it in the end.

YOu look fab sans makeup. I never where it and it's pretty scary looking, but I just don't care.

Lovely wedding!

cheryl said...

chocolate fondue table - that is heavenly!

hope you heal up quickly!

teacherwoman said...

Sorry to hear about your injury... I hope with seeing a doctor, you will be able to figure out what is exactly causing this and get on the road to recovery!

A Disney wedding sounds fun! Too cool!

Molly said...

So SO sorry to hear about the IT band. I had a huge IT band issue right before my 1st marathon and I still live in fear it will pop up again someday. I hope your doctor gets you whipped back into shape!!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

WHAT is up with this IT band???? this is crazy talk! :) GOOD luck to Scott in his race! Love the pics :).

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

OH, come on. I'm doin IM St geo the week after St. Anthony's so you can do the same....... oh that's right, I'm just working St Anthony's... no matter, same thing as doing it. It will be a good training tri for you(really)