All giddy over Sondra's loaded (I know there are diamonds on there somewhere) Orbea Diva!
It's well known in my little circle of friends and family that I have a very picky undercarriage. Saddle after saddle, bike fit after bike fit, and (the big one) tri bike after tri bike... and I'm still dealing with sores, quads that kill after a mere 5 miles and a general uncomfortable feeling that pretty much makes me dread any and all bike training.
Said circle of friends are starting to think that my undercarriage isn't quite right for tri bike geometry and that I should experiment with riding a roadie again. Since I don't own a road bike anymore and since Sondra is still on the injured reserve list, she is generously allowing me to use her Diva. She even let me adjust the fit. What a friend!
I took my first ride out on the Diva this past Saturday and had possibly the best bike ride (in terms of comfort and endurance) of the past year. The first thing that I noticed is that my sit bones were positioned nicely on the saddle; no flesh supporting me this time around. I also did not experience the immediate quad fatigue that I normally feel on my tri bike. A 2-hr ride could have easily been a 3-hr ride had I brought the proper fuel along. Honestly, it was just a joy.
Happy!
The Diva will be spending the next 2 months with me - until after Sondra's surgery or at least until I determine exactly what I will be riding on this year: tri bike or road bike. I know that a lot of people have both and ride both, but I don't really want two bikes. I want to race on the bike that I train on. With cycling peaks that may only eventually reach 125-150 miles or so per week this year, I can't even imagine putting time on a road bike (for comfort) and then come race day returning to the tri bike with completely different geometry.
The intertubes are a mess with this one. Some articles say that comfort is #1 and a person on a roadie who is comfortable will be faster and more efficient than if he/she were uncomfortable on a tri bike. Other articles say that if you are primarily doing tris (and not crits, etc...) then you should be on a time trial bike. Right now, me and my arse are leaning towards the first theory.
I think time will tell all. As I put in more mileage on the Diva, I should be able to tell which type of bike will be the better overall choice for me in the long run.
Stay tuned...
A bald eagle shot from Saturday's ride. We actually saw three of them that day.
13 comments:
Yeah Sondra to the rescue! Poor Sondra with the injury (and surgery?! Poor girl).
I'm on a roadie and I always wonder about a tri, but I just can't bring myself to switch. I hope this trial period helps you figure things out!
I vote for the first thought - comfort first! Do you still have that Cobb saddle?? If so, I might try/buy from you if I can.
Hey R! Unfortunately, no. Cobb has such a great return policy so I sent it back. I tell ya, though, it was a nice saddle... epsecially in a more upright position. I think for tri position the Adamo gives more relief.
Regina, honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would have stuck with my original alum. road bike and worked on my cycling skills, strength and endurance. I jumped at the idea of owning a tri bike b/c well, it seemed like anyone who was 'serious' about the sport had one. Monkey see, monkey do, ya know?
I think I could have become a much better cyclist if I had just been motivated to ride more. For me, that motivation is solely tied with comfort on the bike. Who wants to sit on sores, right?
I'd also go for comfort, though I understand this I-do-tri-so-I-want-a-tri-bike. The diva looks divine. Good friend you've got there, hope she gets well soon.
Nearly got myself a wetsuit 2 weeks ago. Even though I won't (95% sure) compete in a tri this year. Mind you, I just had finished my first swim in 2 1/2 years.
You look good on that ride! Very nice!
Thought I would ask before I buy. I know their return policy is awesome, so I'm going to be ordering soon. I've loved my adamo, but I'm still having some issues. We'll see - worth a shot.
BTW - That diva is dead sexy. Sondra is gonna have a hard time getting it back from you!
That bike is def a beaut! That was very nice of her and I vote for comfort first also. :0)
Orbea's rule! Go with comfort. A happy body is a faster body.
A comfortable person is an efficient person that's fo sho. BUT I have both bikes and I love them both for different reasons - even during ironman training I used both. I would always do my long rides on my TT bike or anything that involved a brick. If I needed a break from that position, I would ride my roadie about once a week for my shortest ride or recovery ride. It gives my whooha the break it needs. Sitting on your pelvis is not the same as sitting on your arse bones, I don't care who ya are!
Good luck in making your deicision but racing on a TT bike doesn't mean you don't ever get to ride your roadie. PLUS, riding a TT bike in big or group rides is just sketchy unless you have killer bike handling skills:)
Comfort is key, no matter what the bike configuration. I'll wonder what Lance rides when he does time trials in the aero position?
(I actually don't know, but I'll bet a roadie)
Missy, you make a super good point about riding in groups. I've actually been stalling on a group ride with the locals b/c I'm scared of showing up on my tri bike and being told to 'hit the road.' LOL!
Bob, I love watching the pro tours. Those guys ride so aggresively on their roadies that they might as well be on a tri bike! They are all just genetic freakazoids! I'm convinced that Lance could ride a tortoise to a tour (or at least a stage) win.
Thanks for all of the feedback folks. I appreciate every piece of it. I'm definitely looking forward to doing more rides on the Diva... and even mixing the tri bike in there too... just to compare/contrast. I find myself actually looking forward to the discovery.
Thanks again to my Sondra. Smooches and hugs!!!!
I think the argument for having 2 bikes is similar to why you should run in 2 different shoe models and do more than one swim stroke in training, i.e., better muscle balance, more training options/variety, more enjoyment, etc. That said, I actually race with my road bike in Clermont or any fairly hilly course because it has better gearing and I have more power being more upright. Also, if I do any group rides, where I will not be aero much if at all, I am much more comfortable staying on the hoods (not to mention, more welcomed by other roadies). Just my 2 cents!
Post a Comment