On tap for me Friday evening was a 2 hour, tempo-finish run and on Saturday's schedule for Scott was race #3 in the Central Florida Tri Series.
This was our first visit ever to Clermont and honestly, if I could move there tomorrow, I would. It is LOVELY! For two days I didn't even feel like I was in Florida. Not only did the welcome elevation bring slightly cooler temperatures, but good Lord, there are HILLS! Everywhere! Houses perched on hilltops, steep roads and driveways up to hilltop bungalows that I'm certain I would have to walk my bike up, and the rambling, hilly South Lake and West Orange multi-use trail. Ok, so these would be nothing to people living in Colorado or somewhere where there are mountains... but for this flatlander, they were brilliant!
Look... see, I wasn't lying! They actually post 'warning' signs on the trail so that the cyclists don't take a nose dive!
SATURDAY MORNING
This race was scheduled into the event calendar at the last minute and was ALL about my main man duking it out with his swim demons. Scott is a great swimmer. He was an open water lifeguard as a teen and a springboard diver for our high school; but like so many triathletes, the swim start has rattled him a bit this year. So, we decided to stick in one more race before Augusta and make it 100% swim focused.Goal for Scott: to swim his OWN race and for him, this meant starting dead-last in his wave.
And so it was a successful weekend for BOTH of us! I had my best long run ever (in the summer, on hills) and Scott battled his swim-start demons and WON! Leaving Clermont to return to our boring, flat neck of the woods was sad. The triathlon community in the center of the state (stretching from Tampa to Orlando) is simply amazing! So many talented and friendly athletes. Boat loads of well-run races. Gorgeous, well-maintained trails to train on. Boo-hoo! I want to go back... like tomorrow!
Today (Sunday) wraps up my first build week for Augusta and with what will end up being over 15 hours worth of endurance training. Aside from my achilles and calves being a wee bit achy from the hill running, I actually feel great. I'm surprised that my body is holding up this well... knock on wood.
Off for a ride and a swim now... and then home to watch the Track & Field World Championships!


8 comments:
I loved those hill pictures. Too funny. Almost......ALMOST....looks like New England in summer. ;-)
Oh, yes. The socks. Quite the Catholic Girl School look I must say.
Rah Rah for Scott!!!
Great race to Scott and NICE work on your long run!!! Way to make progess, that is what it is all about!
I just noticed the new look of the blog. Nice. I love compression socks/tights. Makes such a HUGE difference to me. And feels really good at the time.
Great pics of you on the run! Congrats to Scott! Sounds like a great weekend.
You guys are just awesome!
I sooo need to get a pair of those recovery socks. Really... my legs could use them this week.
love the post and pics.
Congrats to your husband on a great race! I'm glad it went well for him. Clermont definitely does have some hills and nice events. In fact, the FL Challenge half iron is the same weekend as Augusta 70.3. Maybe we'll meet up at future race!
You look like you are enjoying yourself on the run. That shot of the socks is too funny! It's the perspective that cracks me up.
Congrats to Scott! I am chompin' at the bit to read about your race in Augusta, even if it is weeks away.
you guys are studs.....
Post a Comment