Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oh, the struggles

Another week of training is quickly coming to a close and Augusta 70.3 draws ever so close. A mere 35 days now.

If training was the only factor, I feel ready. Coach Jen has trained me well and I feel confident in my physical ability to finish the race. Unfortunately, my nutrition issues continue and at this point, I'm not sure what else I can do.

I've mentioned this many times before, but I have an insanely high sweat rate. Although I can physically drink 50oz of liquid an hour (God, that's insane), my body can't absorb it nor is it 'enough' to even come close to tackling my sweat rate, which well exceeds that.

Here's what happened yesterday:

On tap: 3:30 ride (with 1 hrs. worth of overgearing intervals mixed in) followed by 35 minute t-run.

Completed: 3:27 of ride time and a whopping 12 minutes of running (we'll get to that in a minute)

Calories consumed during this time: 990 (approx. 282 cals per hour)
Sodium consumed during this time: 1,800 mg (approx. 514 mg hour)
Liquid consumed: 165 oz (approx. 47oz per hour)
Pee stops: 0
Pounds lost: 4

Yep, so even after all of that, I was down 4 pounds (slightly more than 3% of my body weight) when I got home. I was also bloated. So, I'm eating/drinking, yet things aren't absorbing and in the meantime I'm sweating so badly during my workout that not only is it becoming annoying, but I can entertain those around me by wringing about 2oz of sweat out of each SOCK! Imagine what I could wring out of my clothes. It's a hoot!

So anyway, obviously it's a no-brainer as to why I was not at all able to finish my run yesterday. Losing 3-5% of body weight via fluid loss is widely recognized to place additional CV strain on the heart and impair one's ability to dissipate heat. Obviously it's also detrimental to performance... and of course, dangerous to one's health. I was down a bit more than 3%.

After I cried on Scott's shoulder during training and moaned about it to Sondra and Jeff over dinner, I pretty much settled into a 'new' way of thinking. Endurance events lasting over 3 hrs. aren't for everyone and b/c of my high sweat rate, they may never, ever be for me. That being said, triathlon isn't over. There's no reason why I can't be a great sprint/oly distance athlete. That pretty much assures me that I'll stay under that 3 hr. mark for racing and obviously, stay stronger throughout the race AND throughout training. I'm sure there are pleanty of super-sweaters out there who do race long and end up in the medical tent with an IV after the race; however, that's not really for me. I'm not good enough to get paid for this and I see no reason to take risks like that with my heart and with my overall sense of well-being.

As it stands, my longer training days in preparation for Augusta are not fun anymore. It's uncomfortable to feel like I've jumped on a bike fresh from a swimming pool and then stay that way for 3+ hours. It's painful to be bloated from fluid that won't absorb in an effort to counteract sweat-loss. It's disappointing to not be able to finish a training session b/c my body has lost so much fluid volume. It's just not fun anymore. Keep in mind that this is all happening at a zone 2 training intensity! Good grief, what would happen during an actual race??

So, once Augusta is said and done, my intent is to make 2010 FUN again! To get as good as I can get at short course triathlon and live vicariously though my buds as they race their hearts out at long course events. This doesn't mean that I won't ever do another half-- actually, I very well intend to do Beach to Battleship Half with Scott in Nov. 2010, but it won't be an 'A' race. It will be a FUN race! I want Augusta to be fun too, but right now I'm having a problem switching my brain from "A" race to "fun race". I know the goal for any 'first' of anything is to finish; however, I'm so freakin' competitive that I really don't want to 'finish' this race dead last in my AG. I guess that's something I'll just have to mentally sort out over the next 35 days.

In summary...

Next long training session, it's no-holds-barred. I'm breaking out the 1,000 mg of salt an hour. If it helped triathlete bud Bree to better absorb fluids, maybe it will help me. After that, it will all just be what it will be and I will try to get through it all in 'Sherry Style'... with a smile! :o)

Wishing everyone a fantastic weekend!

9 comments:

Molly said...

You don't have to worry about being anything CLOSE to last in your AG. If taking Augusta a little slower and more cautiously paced keeps you healthy and enjoying the race more, then so what? You still have a great day out there and I guarantee you that you still finish ahead of a boatload of people. My hope is that it ends up being cooler there than you are used to and your body thrives in it!!! Keep your chin up - you're almost there!

Maggs said...

Wow that's gotta be frustrating. I'm sure you have, but have you looked at ways to keep you cooler so you don't sweat as much? The DeSoto skin cooler fabrics really do help. Or ice packs in the bra? I'm a HUGE fan of ice in the bra in races (and when I can in training). If not, maybe a move to Alaska ;-) But if not, there's NOTHING wrong with just doing the shorter stuff. I think those races are harder anyway.

cheryl said...

Ouch, that's incredible. Well, you should definitely do what is going to keep training and racing fun. Maybe if you really want to try other long races, you can just do early spring ones so you do the long training in your winter, and do shorter races in your summer. Either way, we do this for fun! You will do fine in AUgusta. Keep smiling!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Have you looked at Infinit? One stop shop (calories, carbs, electrolytes, amino acids, protein) and you adjust how they blend it? With this stuff you just make sure to keep up with the water intake (you mix it in water) and it does the rest.

I am right there with you on sweat, sister. Don't give up totally on the long distance as the November IMFL rarely goes over 75F and that makes a huge difference from the 90/95 we are experiencing now.

Regina said...

While I can't say anything about how to solve your nutrition problem, I can sympathize in the sweat department. I ran last week in mid afternoon FL like heat and humidity for 5 mere miles and every inch of clothing was soaked right down to my socks as well. It's so annoying when it is literally dripping off the end of my visor brim in rivulets.

I have no doubt you will do better than you think. Not to discount what you've said here, but perhaps you just had a really bad day? In any case, I hope you manage to figure things out and do what you feel is best for yourself.

good luck!

ufcd1998 said...

So you may have to be a sprint specialist-
1. You'll collect more medals.
2. In 20 years your body won't be falling apart from the massive distances.
3. You'll spend fewer hours training, and that will equal more quality time with your spouse, friends, etc.
4. When you travel for races, you can enjoy the destination before and after the race more than IM or 70.3 stuff.
5. Sprint/oly athletes have way better bodies from an aesthetic point of view.

steve schroeter

Jennifer Cunnane said...

That is incredible - I mean 50 oz of sport fluid and still not helping - its also so HOT in florida but if for some reason its not fun or too much of a pain its not worth it. I hope you get something figured out because you definitely have the fitness, all you need to do is figure out the nutrition part - easy right? Ha! I know lots of people struggle with this. Good luck!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You can contact Infinit and the owner will talk to you. Michael at 513 791 3500. Tell him about your gas issues. He might be able to adjust the formulation to help you out.
Might be worth a try...

ShirleyPerly said...

I too think you might need more salt to help you retain water and reduce the bloating. Also, try carbo loading to gain a couple extra pounds water weight a day or so *before* your long workouts (your body stores 2.7 gms of water with each gm of muscle glycogen and you'll use the latter during your workout anyway). I too find I cannot absorb enough to keep me hydrated in this FL heat but the extra stored water weight helps keep me from getting too dehydrated even if I do end up losing 5-6# from when I started (the net loss is only 2-3#).

Also, Augusta will probably be cooler than here in Central FL so don't give up hopes of doing well on your A race yet. You just need to get through the next few weeks and you'll be there!