Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wildlife stalking

I am a big time wildlife stalker. I think this is one of the many reasons why my runs tend to suffer. I would much rather be watching furry and feathery critters than concentrating on form, etc... Bird and wildlife watching is a problem on the bike too. I can't count how many times I've come frighteningly close to running off the road because my eyes are fixated on a pair of my beloved Sandhill Cranes. I should probably ditch the sprint/oly stuff and head down the IM road... if I'm content on just 'finishing' I can have my cake and eat it too-- as in train AND spy on wildlife at the same time while moving at a much safer speed.

Years upon years ago I made a poor choice regarding college. I had just transferred to a new school and was trying to find my way. I didn't know if I wanted to take pre-med courses, focus on creative and journalistic writing or study anthropology. I was so lost. That was when I took my first ecology course. While other students moaned and ground about population study labs and our professor's endless lake-speak (he was a limnologist first and foremost and never let us forget that), I thrived on all of it! I ate up the field-trips (and the exams)! I wanted MORE ecology classes, but alas, the college that I had just transferred to didn't offer an enviro. sci program. Drats!

So I looked into transferring to another college... and decided that it was just too far for me to commute to and from (I was a young, married women... trying to play college student AND housewife). So, I tossed in the enviro. sci towel and followed the anthropology route. As much as I love cultural studies, I often regret that decision.

These days I bird watch, armadillo watch, fish watch, bobcat watch, etc... from the car, from my bike, during my run... and on the net. Lately I have been absolutely addicted to the Hornby Island Eagle Cam. Much like the magnificent Sandhill crane, I am fascinated by all species that mate for life. There's just something amazing about pair bonds in the animal kingdom. Living in FL, we are very lucky to have a decent bald eagle population... but this Eagle Cam... amazing! Check it out when you have the time. Create a shortcut on your desktop. Feeding times are well worth the watch (and the wait) and at the moment, there's still one egg that has yet to hatch.

Hornby Island Eagle Cam

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Missy said...

I often wonder about the path I chose as well...ah, to dream!

Looking at some of your other posts - a one piece speedo is my favorite race wear. I don't care if my junk is hanging out. It feels so free!

Gotta Run..... said...

And I thought after all of the blog post I read of yours I knew you..... amazing side of you that we have not seen.

Regina said...

That is one cool bird. Go to hear her/him screech. Pretty cool. We have some Red Tail Hawks near our home. They eat the pigeons...it's kind of gross but cool.

Rachel said...

OMG! They are so pretty. I would've slowed down to gawk too.

teacherwoman said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing Sherry!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

This looks like a chick post today so I'll keep it short.. it is definitely rewarding to have a passion and chase it.. keep on the path

Regina said...

the Sidney ones hatched!!!

Chris said...

i'm sure you are not surprised that I loved this post!! great pic, too. You know, it is never too late to go back to scholl... but if that is not what you'd like to do, maybe you should get a little more serious about birding. I'm not sure how much of it you do while not working out, but FL is a crazy good place to be a birder, as i'm sure you know. There are tons of programs, trips and all kinds of good activites (I'm doing the Worlds Series of Birding next weekend, as an example) - if you have any time after tri training (which is def tricky) maybe its time to take your love of all things furry and feathery to the next level! Or you can just keep on the path you are and enjoy it as it comes. I keep a list of all the bird spp. that glen and i have seen on runs together. We've had some really good sightings! Adds another layer to life, you know?

tricia said...

Loved that link!!

cheryl said...

ooooh, Florida wildlife is way more interesting than Indiana wildlife -squirrel, deer, squirrel, turkey, squirrel, turtles get us most excited!

post more pics of what you see!