Thursday, April 16, 2009

Beach running = jacked up calves!

I think I may be in the early stages of developing chronic calf problems. This is my third go-round with calf issues and at this point, I probably need to nip it in the bud. My first encounter with grumpy calves came last November when I wore Newtons for the first time. I "stupidly" (is that a word?) thought that I had to run on my tip toes... and so I did. Talk about doing about 1000 calf raises. I wasn't 100% for nearly 3 weeks with that one (had to take one full week off from running).

Round 2 with calf issues came during IronEdge Tri Camp in early February. We were doing run drills which included a lot of skipping, high knees, etc... Lots of bounding and plyometric work (which I never really did). Ouch! That was all it took. Luckily William, Heather's massage therapist, was on hand to fix me up a bit and apply some kinesiotape. I was good to go by the following weekend for the 1/2 marathon.

My most recent episode arrived courtesy of the 1.5 mile beach run portion of last weekend's Escape from Ft. DeSoto triathlon. Gawd!!! I live in FL, I guess I need to run on the beach more. Anyway, this morning was the first run that i was able to do since last Saturday. I had to stop and stretch a few times during the first mile and my calves (especially my right one) let me know they were there during the rest of the workout, but I was able to get through it... with some "fast for me" splits too.

I'm thinking about seeking out the services of an ART therapist at this point. I think some of the problem may be not enough plyometric and soft-surface training, but some of it may also be coming from built up scar tissue from having a calf strain once every 2 months at this point.

This weekend is the Run for Valor 5K road race and 5K trail run. My husband helped to organize the event and it should be terrific! Scott and I are running in both events (as long as my calves feel good). I have absolutely NO expectations for these two runs other than to get in a good workout and push myself. I think my running is finally coming around thanks to some harder 'pushing'. I've been slogging for way too long.

Here are a few more cute shots from our weekend at Ft. DeSoto. These were taken the day before the race when we were previewing the course:

Scott and I playing in front of the little lagoon
(this was the one that we had to run through 'after' leaving the Gulf swim exit)

Sondra and Jeff- one upping us!

4 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

could be the Newtons. I had the same problem with mine. I have switched back to conventional shoes. My new ones are K Swiss which are very user friendly. I know we all want to be up on the latest trends, but they didn't work for me.

Regina said...

I am traveling that road a bit. I really haven't had any issues yet, but was told by my PT that I have really tight calves and Achilles. I have been stretching them since regularly. I hope you find a solution to your problem. Nothing worse than annoying injuries...still dealing with my ankle...grrr...

great pics! I so want to be there rather than here in the cold North East.

Good luck in the two races!

BreeWee said...

So jealous! I love beach running, most of our beaches in Kona are covered in lava rocks! hope the calves feel great for the 5k! AND love the lagoon fotos, fun times!

tricia said...

I would definitely get an assessment by a physical therapist--one who specializes in sports medicine. Ultrasound a few times per week for a few weeks on those calf muscles will go a long way in the healing process, increasing circulation, and decreasing overall inflammation and scarring of the microscopically torn muscle tissue (which is probably what you have :( ) Also, not sure if you are ok with taking medicines, but taking a couple of Motrin prior to working out, then icing post workout--doing this every time you work out for a couple of months is also important. Stretching is good, but if you have tiny tears you need anti inflammatories and ice and ultrasound. Hope this helps :)