Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

This is going to be one of those 'big moments' post. You've been forewarned; although I will try my very best to keep it short and sweet.

Scott spent all of last week in New Mexico at the IPMBA conference earning his instructor certification and all he brought me home was this goathead thorn:

Ok, so it was at my request that he bring a thorn home for me. Don't ask 'why'... just know that I needed to see one up close and personal. Let's just say that I will never complain about an occasional flat tire again.

While he was away... I pondered, played, purchased, pondered some more and pretty much had a one-week mid-life crisis.

Basically, over the past 7 days I did the following:

* Purchased an aerohelmet. And for those who are wondering, according to yesterday's training ride it did not make me any faster, but I certainly 'looked' faster and of course, more like a tri geek.

* Decided to go BACK TO COLLEGE! It's been 8 years since I graduated with my B.A., so this was a really huge decision for me. I'll be taking an evening environmental bio course over the summer and then I'll decide whether or not I want to dive back into this college-thing for good.

* Registered Scott & myself for Ironman Augusta 70.3 in September! On a total whim! Just called Scott, asked him if he was game, and registered... all in a matter of 1 hour. Talk about diving into things head-first. We're super excited about it... over the moon!

Now that all of this has had a bit of time to sink in... I'm more excited than ever. OK, I'm not all that excited about the aerohelmet, but the enviro. bio class and Augusta... absolutely! They are all that I keep thinking about. A sign of two very good decisions.

I can laugh about both of these things and chuck it up to a mid-life crisis or whatever, but truth be told, I was able to jump on them like I did b/c I have this new found confidence that I never really had before. Part of it probably comes along with entering my 30's and being more aware of who I am and what I want; but another part of it definitely stems from the confidence that triathlon has given me. I just feel GOOD about myself. After a decade of pretty much loathing myself (terrible 20's), to be able to feel this way... well, it's priceless (at risk of sounding like an overplayed commercial).

Lots of GREAT things to come! Onward and upward....

10 comments:

Missy said...

30's are great, I love them so far. Yay for Augusta 70.3, that will be a great race for sure. Very exciting.

You bought a sperm helmet?!? Yah, I never noticed a difference either...other than I CAN'T TURN MY HEAD!

Regina said...

Your 30's will be great! Loved mine! However, I have to argue the mid-life thing...as I turn 42 next month I'd like to think I am JUST getting to mid life! And that my crisis was doing my first tri this summer.

Sounds like you have arrived at a peaceful place in your life, where things are starting to make sense. Congratulations!

Now I want pics of you wearing this helmet.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Mom-in-law lives in Augusta. thought about doing the race but that would go against my philosophy of one race per year.

Plus there are hills

Good luck with the training

teacherwoman said...

OMG! How exciting all around! Wahoo!

Kevin said...

Lots of great news. I thought about Augusta, but it looks like I am going to do the SC Half since it is 80 dollars less and I have a score to settle with the course.

Chloe said...

That is awesome! Congrats on the big day! So there is hope after the terrible 20's!?!? THANK GOD! I'm about to lose it!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

The 30s are super! I am almost done with mine! Great stuff going on w/ you! That is sooo great! wooo :)

tricia said...

Congratulations on your upward movement!! Especially college--never too old to take a re-look at your life and change career paths :)

You know I did!!

cheryl said...

hey, I'll be at Augusta too, hope to see you there! enjoy the return to college adventure.

Melissa said...

Yeah, exciting things going on! The 30's do rock!!