Last week I discovered that I was one of two winners in Half-Fast's inaugural 'Shave Your 5K Challenge'. Woot! What a year! Thanks for holding the contest, Half-Fast. I'll be back for the 2009 edition!
I've been reflecting on the past year a great deal lately and I've been thinking more and more about my goals for 2009. I even went as far as discussing a 'new' goal with my husband... since it would involve either 'eating' or transferring my 2009 MiamiMan registration fee.
New goal: Philadelphia Marathon, November 2009
I actually did think about this late last year and then swiftly put it aside and decided that the Philly 1/2 would be a better option. Well, as February's half marathon draws near, I have come to realize just how much I enjoy run training. I've said it over and over again that running is definitely not my forte in the sport of triathlon, yet somehow the running bug bit me deeper than than either swimming or cycling.
So, I've been thinking about the marathon again. Of course, Philadelphia is run a mere two weeks after the Miami Man Triathlon. I 'could' do both, but I'm not sure that I want to. If I'm going to run a marathon, I want all of my training leading up to that date to be about the marathon... not about an oly distance tri AND a marathon. That is just more that I can chew!
Here I sit thinking about what to do regarding 2009. If I truly want to run Philadelphia in November that would mean cutting tri season short... perhaps ending with the Heartland Triathlon in mid-July. That would give me August, September, October and most of November to concentrate solely on marathon preparation.
I'm going to make my final decision on February 15th... following the Sarasota Half Marathon. At that time, I'll be able to see where I'm at fitness wise and if I can stay mentally tough for a longer distance race.
10 comments:
Very smart... you set a time goal to make the decision by. This will insure that a goal will be set in stone.
I am putting my money on the marathon.
Secret: Most all of hate/love running. Very few love it all together. The finish line of any running event is what keeps me moving forward.
Ohhhhhh...when the halfers split from the fullers at mile 7, you will feel a pang of envy. I know you. You'll spend the next 6.1 miles wishing you were doing the full. And I'll be about 20 minutes behind you, also running the half wishing the same thing.
Is Sondra running it too? She just embraced the whole sport, didn't she? I feel proud of both of you.
I bet you feel great after the half and can't wait to run a full. And it's smart to only train for a marathon, you can burn yourself out training for too much.
Sounds like you are playing it smart with your planning
I forgot to congrats you on the Shave your 5K win! Way to go!
Good luck with your decision (although it is probably already made).
And well done on the Shave 5k!
Good luck with Philly!
you are making me so proud sherry!! first the shave award, now doing a marathon?! in philly nonetheless!! you should def do this race, it is a really great event, I think you'd really enjoy it. and you'd have at least one cheerleader in me - i'll be there egging you on. a half is great and a true accomplishment - but nothing beats the whole shebang!laur and i have our hearts set on chicago, but we can support each other during training since we'll both be grinding it out at the same time! and i think you should follow your instinct and bag the oly. too close for comfort!
Congratulations on the shave your 5k award! Awesome!
As far as your goals... it's all good. There is no bad decision here so, don't sweat it. If you decide to pass on the Philly full this year and do all your scheduled tri's, there's always next year and, you would likely be even stronger. Keep up the great work. ;)
I ran my half contentendly, said I never wanted to run 26.2.
My first 26.2 is scheduled almost a year to the day after my first 13.1.
Funny or sad? I can't decide.
Congrats on your Shave win, on being wise with your training, and setting your sights on a new distance in the 13.1--an goal that should be celebrated in and of itself.
Post a Comment