I have officially dropped down from the FIRST 10k training program to the FIRST 5k program... this way, it is unlikely that I will ever go above 20 miles per week mileage wise. My back should remain somewhat happy. Right now, I'm at 18 mpw. The interval sessions are the same as the 10k plan and many of the tempo runs are similar as well; it's the long runs that are just a wee bit shorter. I think the longest run on the 5k plan is one 8 miler at some point in time. The majority of the long runs are 6 and 7 miles. So, I may have a slightly more difficult time doing the 10k run at MiamiMan, but at this point, I'll just be happy if I am still able to 'do' MiamiMan. Hopefully I'll be there.
This past week was pretty decent training wise. I got in a few good swims and all of my runs felt great. During my interval session yesterday I was amazed at how I was able to run at 7.6 mph (7:54 min/mile) on the treadmill for a 1/2 mile at a time when I couldn't even fathom running anywhere near that fast a month ago. Heck, just one month ago, I was thinking that 6.8 was fast! Amazing! It feels great to see those sort of improvements. My Cervelo has still not come in... bummer.
My awesome husband ran his first 5k this past weekend. Well, it was actually his second since he ran with me in 'my' first 5k this past February; however, he was 'my' support team at that time and not really running for himself. This past Saturday, he ran for himself. Last week he completed the C25K plan. He was super excited to run a race and even more excited to jump on the FiRST bandwagon once we gathered a race time for him. In what one would consider the most disgustingly humid conditions known to man, he ran a 5k time in 28:50. Not bad at all for someone so new to running. I am super, duper proud of him! So now he gets to start the FIRST Intermediate 5k plan in order to build his mileage. I had him do his first interval session this evening and he loved it! Yay!
Tomorrow is a 4 mile tempo run (6 miles total) for me and I'm going to try to squeeze in some swimming... although I gave my hair a wickedly awesome blowout today and would hate to get it wet tomorrow! LOL!
Best wishes to all of my blog friends out there! Kimmy... I'm so proud of you! Another PR! You go girl!
Swim: 7.5 miles (13,200 yards)
Spin: 202 miles
Run: 68.1 miles
Strength: 6 BodyPump classes
Yep... not a single 'real' bike ride to be found. Dang!
5 comments:
Good for you for advocating for you health and taking a step back - it isn't easy to do but a decision you will be so happy about when you look back!!
Congrats to your hubby that is so so great!! I always wish my hubby would pick up running. Oh well!
Steady as she goes... Great job on re-thinking the new training plan. I pray your other *issues* are resolved as well, Sherry. And, ^5 to Scott! Congrats on the first 5K race finish in a MOST respectable time! Tell him to keep it up and he'll be fracturing a leg in marathon training and races in no time like me! Heh! Hey, do tell him we just took delivery last month of a brand spankin' new Pierce Contender engine with a CAF system! WOOT! Don't know how to use it yet (the CAF system that is, the rest we had an 8 hour class on a week ago Saturday), but we'll learn soon! I'll try and post a pic of it on my blog in the near future.
That had to be a tough decision to back off the training. Hopefully that will be enough to keep your back feeling ok
Yup, the 5K FIRST runs are mostly 6s it seems. But you know, maybe don't look at it as "dropping down" but rather training with another distance. There are 5K nuances that go beyond just racking up the mileage and those nuances are fun to discover :-) Good for you though on listening to your body and shortening the runs - I think that you'll be just fine at the 10K with the 5K FIRST program, since the interval/tempos often come to around 5-7 miles, and the longer runs are about race distance.....
Congrats to to your husband on his raced-5K - do you think he's bitten by the running bug too? I love reading about how far you've come with your running!
What a great race for your husband!!!
You are smart to adjust your training. you still have a solid amount of miles you will be hitting.
Post a Comment