Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vacation Report: Outer Banks, NC & Charleston, SC

I'm back!

Last night Scott and I returned from a wonderful 10-day vacation to the Outer Banks of NC and a 2-day stop-over in Charleston, SC. We met up with Scott's brother and sister (and their families) and rented a beach house in Southern Shores, NC. Our first few days there were HOT and HUMID (hello, Florida) but we took in some wonderful sites. I'll post pics of the vacation in another post.

I wasn't about to let my training slide (although I knew that swimming would be out of the question) and immediately logged a 6 miler on Sunday and then a 4 mile interval run on Monday. Conditions were very Florida-like, which I was bummed about. However, that would remedy itself by mid-week.

Scott and I brought our bikes with us in hopes of getting in some riding. I brought Pixie (more on her later) as this would be my first opportunity to really test her out. Unfortunately, because we were working around the schedules of three families, we didn't get as much riding in as we would have liked. Our first day there we logged a few un-noteworthy miles just riding around the neighborhood where our beach home was located. We then did a 36 mile trip on Tuesday through Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head. Lots of stopping and starting and challenging beach breezes so I couldn't really open Pixie up... but it was a great ride for leg turnover.

I took Wednesday off due to rain, but more than made up for it on Thursday when I logged my first ever easy 10 miler! Woot! I did not have one planned, but the rain brought with it something that I haven't felt since March here in FL... cool weather! I couldn't resist 70F and 73% humidity. Glorious (to me anyway)! Legs held up great during the run and I was just about walking on sunshine for the rest of the day. My body must be adapting properly to this 'running stuff' b/c I didn't have even a hint of soreness the day after this run. My legs felt tired when I would walk up stairs, but that's about it. Yay to me... for ramping my mileage up properly.

We left the Outer Banks on Saturday morning and decided to drive to Charleston for a short stay. We toured Charleston all day Sunday (what a glorious city... can't wait to return) and then drove back home yesterday. I wish I had found some time to get in a run while in Charleston... boo-hiss!

And that, my friends, is where my exercise log ends. Yes, I have now had FOUR days off in a row! Egads! Back to the trenches today, though!

Pictures and 'Pixie' details to come....

I have SO much catching up to do in blogland. I hope everyone is well and that y'all are kicking some butt in your races!

9 comments:

Kevin said...

Sounds like a great trip. We have gone to the OBX the last two years and loved it. Took my bike last year and it was definitely a decent place to ride.

Glad to hear you were able to do a pain free 10 miler

Sara said...

welcome home! Sounds like you had a very productive vacation (even with 4 days off!).

KimsRunning said...

Welcome home Sherry!! I'm so glad to hear you had a great vacation, that's awesome!

I will see you at the Boca 5k!!! Wanna race????? LOL

Gotta Run..... said...

It is about time!!! I was beginning to think that you loved Pixie more than us :)

Be thrilled for your 10 miler and to fit it in during vacation is great!! Any run that last more than a mile is amazing in my books.

As for your question: I carry about 30 oz. with me and then treat my car as a pit stop along the trails. If I am running roads I either stash or run into a store to purchase more fluids. Planning is EVERYTHING!!

Welcome back to the grind.

teacherwoman said...

Glad to see you back! I missed you SOOOO much!

Sounds like you guys had a great trip, and were able to get in some workouts while you were out there!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back :-) I'm with the others, getting in workouts at all on vacay is impressive, especially the solid ones you did. 10 pain free miles is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back!

Anonymous said...

charleston really IS a great city. you can spend hours just looking at the houses. and you're so close to the water. not to mention the great weather!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Sarah and I'm with Dwellable. I was looking for blog posts about the Outer Banks to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, drop me a line at Sarah(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Sarah