Friday, October 2, 2009

Post-race reflections and looking ahead

With one of the biggest moments in my life behind me, I find myself looking towards the future and growing excited about what 2010 holds. Augusta 70.3 was everything that I dreamed it would be and then some. It was challenging, but achievable!

The entire Augusta 'process' was such a wonderful learning experience. I learned that nutrition is waaaay more complicated than I ever thought it could be and is indeed the 6th 'leg' of the long-course triathlon. I learned that I do not like to train for longer than 3 hours at a time. I learned that I 'jump for joy' when coach sends me anything resembling a track workout. I learned that my swimming isn't so terrible after all and that I really need to put the hammer down and strength train b/c my muscular endurance is not so hot. I learned that I prefer a 2:30 training run over a 3:00 ride. I learned so much more than what I can even write here. In a nutshell, ALL of these things are helping me to define what kind of triathlete I want to be and what I need to focus on to improve.

I leave behind Augusta 70.3 excited and motivated!

Of course 2009 is not over and done with yet and I still have two important events left to complete: MiamiMan International Triathlon and the Philadelphia 1/2 Marathon.

These events are a mere 2 weeks apart from each other and my intention is to race (not just finish) both of them. Coach Jen has her scheduling work cut out for her.

Goal for MiamiMan = no walking during the 6.6 mile run and perhaps a new course PR.

Goal for Philadelphia = 1/2 marathon PR (if I can navigate through the gazillion people who will be there)

So, yes... I'm reaching for some personal records, but honestly, don't we all do that at each and every race anyway?

With 2009 being over and done with before I know it, 2010 is looking bright. I will have two years of triathlon under my belt and will have completed distances from sprint through half-iron. At this point in time, I still think that I enjoy short course racing more than the longer stuff. I have absolutely no desire to do another 1/2 iron anytime soon and even less desire to take a stab at the iron distance. Moving up through these distances seems to be the natural progression for most athletes, but I don't see that happening with me. With short course, there's just a lot less to put together... nutrition is important, but not nearly as important as the half-iron/full iron distances. Pacing gets thrown out the window... you just go hard from the start. Short course = way more pain, but less complicated. Long course = less pain, but way more complicated.

At this point in time I'm planning on filling my 2010 tri season with short course events and then one half iron at the end of the season. Scott is super excited about doing the Beach to Battleship Half next year... and I want to support that by training for it with him. I also want to throw in an Xterra race and perhaps, just perhaps, an adventure race! I plan to continue to focus on my running in 2010 by completing a third 1/2 marathon and I want to sprinkle in a few more 5k/10k races. The marathon that I was planning to do may be on 'hold' until 2011 or later. Coach Jen gave me some really sound advice about the marathon and if I want to work on speed at these shorter distances... the 1/2 marathon fits into that plan better.  However, a marathon is still something I want to do, so we shall see.

Here comes the exciting part! Jotting my ideas down for the first time! I love doing this!!!

2010: The Possibilities

January 3, 2010: River, Roots and Ruts 1/2 Marathon or 1/2 Marathon Relay. I may either do the entire 1/2 marathon myself or I might partner with Scott and do the relay again this year. It's a trail run... a wonderful one at that with lots of tough climbs on the back side of the course... and I'm doing it either way. As long as I live in this part of Florida, I don't think I will ever, ever miss this race!
January 17, 2010: Naples Daily News Half Marathon- this race isn't my first choice for my 2010 half marry, but it's local (no overnight expenses), so we shall see.
February 20, 2010 Edison Festival of Light 5K- this was my very first 5k ever in 2008. Think I can hit a course PR? ;p
February 21, 2010 26.2 with Donna: National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer
February-ish, 2010 BOAR Sport Adventure Race (3 hr race- bike, paddle, trek)- big 'maybe' on this one. I want to do something like this at some point in time, though. Would probably benefit from learning how to use a compass beforehand. Oh, I dream big! LOL!
March 21, 2010: Gator Sprint Tri (if they run the sprint distance this year)- just a little local sprint tri to get the tri season started.
March 29, 2010: Xterra Miami- This would be my first ever Xterra race. Um, a mountain bike purchase would be a good idea, huh? Oh, Craig's List?!?!
April 18, 2010: Xterra Caloosahatchee
May 23, 2010: Memphis in May Oly Tri- We have family in Memphis, so this race would be great if we can get there!
July 27, 2010: Ft. Myers Sprint Tri
August 22, 2010: Alfac IronGirl Columbia, MD- possible summer trip to NJ to see the family and perhaps my BFF from high school, Jennie, is still wanting to do this race with me. Chris K., perhaps you too?? God, that would be SO much freakin' fun!!!
November 8, 2010: Beach to Battleship Half Iron

In other non-triathlon news
While in Augusta I received my termination notice from my boss. On October 9th, my position with the company will no longer be. I am being released due to the economy. No crying on this end though... that's certainly not going to help to improve anything. So where does this leave me? Well, with a whole lot of time to train for a bit (*smile*) and a whole lot of thinking to do as far as long-term goals.

Nobody is going to hire me right now anyway (not with needing half of November off for racing and a Trukey-day trip to NJ). The job market in my little part of Florida is not so great, so who knows what/where I'll end up... but I'm trying to stay positive. Ideally, what I would like is something that works with my husband's schedule and no weekend work-- that's when racing takes place, ya know? Something that I actually enjoy doing would be a huge plus as well (hmm, maybe something sport related). I'm hopeful that something will come along.

10 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Wow! What an exciting and emotional week! You fought through the tough summer heat and posted a 1/2 time you should be proud of! Maybe the time off is just what you need... lots of exciting things around the corner you can keep us posted on!

Chris said...

fun fun fun! soun ds like a fun 2010... but first two more exciting events fro 2009. I am still planning on coming to Philly to cheer you (and Scott?) on - and amybe run a few of those miles with you! i am going to try and take some time off running after chicago. my tight butt is much better than it was, but still a little naggy. i think i need to lay off the running for a bit. this mormally would not be an issue since in the past i don't run through the winter anyway. but i did last year, and kinda liked it! in any case, i can def eek out a few miles (and maybe more!) with you in Nov. That will be so fun! And doing a tri with you and jennie would be a blast! Ryan Hazelton has recently gotten into tris too, maybe we can drag her and my sister along as well!

good luck with your job search - but take some time to relax in between gigs too. it's not often we get a break from work and i think that stepping back for a moment could be a great thing! maybe some vol work to see if you like sports world? i know a few people that help with "girls on the run" and they find it very satisfying!

Gotta Run..... said...

I need to begin my planning for next year. B2B full is still on my wish list. next year may just be the year.

Keith said...

Pretty amazing half IM time! Congrats!

Job termination blows, but I know from experience having the time to train during the nice part of the day is wonderful. There are days I think I'm ruined for working full time.

Missy said...

I can give you the full B2B low down in a few more weeks. Memphis in May is a great race - you actually need to race on Sat and Sun - Sat is the off road/mtb tri and Sun is the road tri. THEN they give prizes to peeps that did both, just sayin!

So glad Augusta was a success for you. I feel the same way about full IMs, they are very complicated. 2010 looks like a very exciting year for you.

PS Im in the same boat on the job front. I'm just sick about it.

Kevin said...

Sounds like an exciting year for 2010. B2B should be amazing. I will have to let you know.

Good luck in the job front. As one door closes, another one always opens.

ShirleyPerly said...

I definitely agree with you on your assessment of short races vs. long ones. And esp. training in the heat, long ones become even more complicated.

Congrats again on Augusta and look forward to your two upcoming races. Knowing now that you're doing the oly, vs. the half, at Miami, I'm sure you'll do well both there and in Philly!

Regina said...

So sorry to hear about your job, but sounds like you are handling gracefully and positively. This definitely opens up a lot of possibilities for you.

You are so lucky your race seson can go so long down there. There really isn't much happening up here into the fall. I do plan on volunteering for the NYC Marathon though. I have a few friends running.

YOu have had such an amazing season and I know you will have an even better one next year. Still trying to work out if I can make Philly to cheer you on!

cheryl said...

wow, you are super organized! Next year looks fun, glad you are going to try xterra, its lots of fun. now, go get yourself a mountain bike ;-)

KimsRunning said...

I love your reflection posts! Great job on your half iron...what an accomplishment!! You planted a seed to be an athlete and now those roots run deep. Watching your success over the last 2 years has been wonderful!! xoxoxo

The job market isn't too great but I feel confident you'll land on your feet...you always do!!!!!