Thursday, September 3, 2009

Counting sheep

So I have this little problem with insomnia.

I've had it for years and years; it's nothing new. I've tried all kinds of OTC pills and remedies for it, as well as a few Rx remedies that aren't 'really' for insomnia. Well, this past Monday I pretty much hit my limit. Five hours of very interrupted sleep is not good for anyone, especially an athlete. I've seen a physician for this before (my 'old' physician) and she is the one who Rx'd me the pills that aren't really meant for insomnia, but instead aren't meant to treat anxiety and can be incredibly addictive. When I saw my 'new' doc yesterday, I expressed that I didn't want to go down that road. She couldn't understand why my old doc even went down that road at all given my long history with sleep issues.

So, new Doc prescribed Lunesta for me AND some sleep training instructions for me to follow:

1. No drinking water after 7:30PM or so. Limits night-time potty breaks.

2. In bed and out of bed around the same time. So for me, this means in bed between 10 and 10:30PM and out of bed between 6:30 and 7:00AM. No more 'to bed' at midnight or one and then up at 5:30 or 6AM. Not good!

3. Absolutely no stimulus once I decided to go bed. No television, no reading material. It's in the bed and lights out.

I struggled with #3 last night. It was 10:30PM, I had taken my Lunesta and I was just laying there. I wanted to turn that TV on sooo badly (after all, Serena was playing), but I knew that if I wanted to put this sleep thing to bed forever (no pun intended) that I had to help myself. So, I cuddled up to my body pillow and prayed for sleep to come. It finally did... more quickly than I had anticipated too.

I woke up once during the night for a position change (usually I wake up 4 or 5 times for a position change) and once for a potty break that I hardly even remember. This is good! I was out of bed at 6:30AM this morning, but I felt like I could have used another hour. It may have been the effect of the Lunesta still wearing off. It's 10AM now and while I don't feel completely rested (I could go and take a nap), I do feel a bit more alert than normal.

I'll be curious to see how I feel in another week or so as my body gets back into some sort of a sleep pattern.

ON THE MENU.. aka MY MAN IS AWESOME!
While I was taking my little nap yesterday afternoon (yes, I nap; believe it or not, if I don't nap, my insomnia is worse. Doc said this is a common problem), my handsome hubby was busy cooking!

In September's Triathlete Magazine there is a recipe for Andy Potts' Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. Well, Scott evidently took a liking to the recipe, because when I woke up this is what greeted me:



Um yeah... those muffins are gorgeous (and so is the guy holding them) and tasted amazing as well. I told Scott that I would like him to make a batch without the chocolate chips next time around. He was pretty much like, "Well, what's the point then?" Gotta love him!

9 comments:

Regina said...

I'm sometimes stunned at how similar we are (I mean this in a totally no stalker fashion..lol). I have had such trouble sleeping since I had my son three years ago. I used to sleep like the dead, but now I wake up several times during the night. I don't even remember the last time I slept through. Half a Valium will do the trick, but like you I don't want to go there. I've been trying this homeopathic stuff Similasan Sleeplessness Relief; it helps, but it's no cure all. Hope you have finally found your cure.

As for the muffins, I'm with Scott. There is no point in making them if there are no chocolate chips in them.

Hmmm, my word verification is "hotti", Ka-chow!

GoBigGreen said...

I sometimes have a hard time sleeping when i am in a really peak week of training. Like i am so tired but i cant sleep. Hang in there, and sounds like you have some good tips for the night time routine.
As for the muffins, YUM. I am not a chocoloate fan but i know my honey would say the same thing "Cant i make chocolate muffins with some pumpkin seeds in them?" LOL.
As for late night tennis, OH yea. I know it is so hard but save your midnight tennis watching for the big guns like Roger and Andy. The womens scene isnt jazzing me ..yet...maybe if Kim Clijsters is really back it will!

Molly said...

Yum! Those look good but that's a lot of muffins for only 2 of you :)

As the training ramps up, my sleeping is all over the place. Some nights I pass out at 8:30 pm and sleep 10 hours, some nights I toss and turn and sweat and shiver and can not fall asleep (so bad, I get mad at my husband for BREATHING LOUD because I feel like it's keeping me up). Last night was one of those - I ran 9 miles in the evening and was zonked but could not sleep. Blech. Anyway, no consolation but it is normal :)

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You know, I hear Michael Jackson's doctor is available for consultation..... :)

Actually, Mrs Ironbob has the same problem and has me stash her prescription drugs so she only gets them when absolutely needed (which is just about all the time)

Hope it works for you

Jennifer Harrison said...

GOTTA love Scott! And, I agree...WITH the choc. chips! LOL

I sometimes have sleep issues, but really, as I get older, it is related to hormones and always a few days in my cycle. I am one that goes to bed @ the same time and tries to get up @ the same time every day...even on the weekends. Except I do think 5.30am is a bit early when I am not training.

I tend to read in bed and that helps...actually I can watch TV too - in the pitch dark. I just need to unwind , ya know? NO work, NO computer or Iphone in my bedroom...

And, I agree with REgina....I slept like a million bucks before the kids, now, ANY noise wakes me up. I sleep with a pillow on my head.

Glad you are getting this fixed...NOTHING is worse than not sleeping. I need 7.5-9hours to function well!

Rachel said...

That sucks. I find exercise helps the most with sleep. Cookies and milk can't hurt either!

Jamie V said...

saw your blog and I cant believe how similar our fitness is... to the second on PRs for 5k, 1/2 marathons and sprint tris. I also started running in 2007 and triathlon in 2009. Good luck at your 1/2IM!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

If you come and do Sun Coast, your best bet is to come 275 across Skyway bridge. When you come across the Howard Franklin into Tampa, one of the first exits is the Veterans Expressway (I believe 589). You travel up Veterans about 12 miles and it splits into SunCoast. These are both toll ways. Around the second exit (not sure, I dont get there this way)is a brand new exit called Lutz Lake Fern. The parking area for the trail head is right next to the exit. If you miss that one the next exit is State route 54. Same story, parking lot right next to SunCoast. The trail crosses highways for 40 miles but the section between SH 54 and SH52 is 10 miles and in between is a cut off to the left (Starkey Park). This is another 6.5 miles with no roads.
I'd join you, but I will be in Montreal.
Good luck.

tricia said...

Awwww, great muffins! I will have to look up that recipe :) BTW--I am with you on sleep problems. It happened a few years ago then worsened around my separation and divorce (no surprise there). I take 1/2 of a Trazodone (prescription) and it is amazing. No grogginess the next day. Glad you are finding something which works for you :)