THIS IS IT!
The final big build week towards my very first 1/2 iron distance. Holy cow! With the race a mere 17 days away, I find myself asking, "how did I even get here?" It hasn't even been 2 years since I started running. I often still feel a disconnection between my mind and body. The body is becoming an efficient recreational endurance athlete; the mind still hasn't caught up. There are days like today, where I want to just pinch myself. Is this really me?
AND SO IT BEGINS
On May 3, 2009, on a total and complete whim, I signed Scott and myself up for our very first 1/2 Ironman. I have no idea what brought the idea on. Heck, I had only done one spring tri at that point; hadn't won at Danskin yet and was in the middle of switching coaching services. I must have had a really good night sleep that night. LOL! With not much endurance base at all, especially in the cycling realm, (remember, all I've really been doing are sprint distance races), I had 4.5 months to get in half-iron shape. Coach Jen assured me that I could do it, but that we were going to have to work hard b/c of my lack of any sort of a cycling base.
DOUBTS
The real work began in June with my first 2:30 ride... and I thought I was going to die. I had no idea what I was doing with nutrition (not even sure I ate anything on that ride) and I couldn't even walk the 10 minute t-run afterwards. It was a disaster of epic proportions. Throughout July and August I continued to build my cycling base and work on nutrition. There were many times when I questioned my ability to even finish the race in September as I could not seem to nail down nutrition and was having severe hydration issues. At this point, I remember writing to Coach Jen and expressing to her how I was dreading workouts and that I was just not having fun anymore.
With advice from Coach Jen and quite a few other bloggers & friends (thank you SO much Bob, Maggs, Bree, Shirley, Chris, and others) I was able to compile a bunch of wonderful ideas for staying cool and eating well... and voila... success!
This Friday I aim to achieve success once again as I complete my last BIG brick before September 27th! Aside from suffering from a summer cold right now, I feel mentally and physically ready to make this final effort a good one... and enjoy it while I'm at it. I'm bringing the camera along so that I can distract myself with wildlife from time to time.
LET'S TALK ABOUT GOALS
I'm not even sure if it's appropriate or not to have goals for one's first 1/2 iron; honestly though, I don't care what Triathlete mag says about just finishing. I've had goals for every single triathlon or road race that I've ever competed in. Those goals have always consisted of more than just 'finish'. Even for the very first race that I ever entered- the Edison Festival of Lights 5K- I had goals beyond crossing the finish line.
I have never gone into a race undertrained, so I suppose that's why I can get away with looking beyond the finisher's medal. Sometimes my goals are percentage based (such as finish in top 25% of AG), sometimes they are time based (sub-2 hrs in 1/2 marathon), sometimes they are element focused (sub-15 minutes in 1/2 mile swim; enjoy bike & run)... and often time Blogland, I do not write those goals here for fear of someone saying, you really should just be focusing on the finish. However, with Augsta... worrying about what other folks might think is going out the door. This is my race., my first 1/2 iron... I'll never have another.
AND SO, THEN...
My goals as I see them and in order of 'hopefulness':
1. Finish- you really didn't think I would leave it out right? I want that pretty GA peach finisher's medal.
2. Finish in under 7 hours- b/c there is no way in hell that I want to be out there longer than that and b/c if I pace myself properly, I know that I can.
3. Top 50% of AG (give or take 10% either way); although I think my run will be the limiter here at this point in time.
Of course, all of these except finish (which barring a crash or respiratory/cardiac arrest, I will do) are really a shot in the dark since I have absolutely no idea of what I'm capable of achieving where a 1/2 iron is concerned. What I do know is that for me it's going to be all about proper pacing on that bike and getting my nutrition in. If I can pace properly on the bike, then I know I can get through the run. If I go too hard on the bike, then I better be happy going home with only goal #1 under my belt b/c the run will probably be a total and complete walk-fest (which may be ok for some, but it's not ok for me).
So there we have it. In a nutshell. Bare bones, for all to see. My hopes & dreams for Ironman Augusta 70.3. The really nice thing is that I think that all of my goals are achievable without me overtaxing my body and making for a rotten race. Somewhere attached to the 'finish goal' is also the 'enjoy the race' goal. If I can't enjoy these races, why even do them, ya know?

13 comments:
You can do it! I bet you'll blow your goals right out of the water, hills, and run course!
In the bag!!1
Let us know what your race number is. I will try and talk my mother in law in coming down to cheer you all on...
ahh Sherry, you will do awesome! You have had such determination this summer getting through the training in that ridiculous Florida heat and humidity - you are one tough girl!
see you in GA!
Just focus on the nutrition, Sherry. If I learned anything from the two half distance races this year it's that the nutrition will make or break your day. And I've had both happen. Just stay focused on your nutrition and your conditioning will take care of the rest. :)
I'm so not worried about you. You will do amazing as you have done up to this point. I have a feeling you will surprise yourself.
I think the blog writing (at least for me) regarding all these things is cathartic too and allows us to get those demons off our chest.
I am so jazzed to hear all about it when it's over!
You're gonna nail this one and all your goals and then some, I think :) Can't wait to cheer you on, girl! Just a couple weeks away!!!!
Enjoying any race comes once you have crossed the finishline... and you will... in under 7 hours.
My money is on you!! Now relax and do your last fine tuning.
Relentless Forward Motion!
hi sher! yeah, i am with you with the whole "just aim to finish" the first time. i mean, would we really go through all the trouble of training and tweaking nutrition and visualizing ourselves on race day and picking out the perfect chaff-free outfit and driving our sig. others and friends crazy talking about it if we just wanted to finish?? of course finihsing is the primary goal, but what is the harm in setting other ones too? part of the excitement is setting these goals and testing where our limits are. and i am sorry, but "just finishing" does not fill you with the same post-race exhileration that meeting your goals does. and what if we fail in that? so what?! the pain of failure only fuels us for the future. when did failure become such a bad thing anyway? it's the best way to learn (and that is cliche i can actually get behind!.) I am so proud of you for taking this on and I know that you are going to rock this race!
YOU ARE SO READY! you have done an amazing job at preparing for this race in 100000, 000000 degree temps every day! AMAZING! you will do great, Sherry...the first of great things to come!
You're going to surprise yourself. I'm all for realistic goals but I really think you're going to surprise yourself out there. It's going to be a great day. TN/GA have been having great weather and I just know it's going to hold out for you. Just finishing doesn't suit me either...
I cant believe Augusta is almost here. Based on past performances I think you are going to easily meet those goals and then some
I think your goals sound completely realistic, and I am so happy for you that you figured out the nutrition part. That's the key. You have worked so hard and hung in tough this summer that as long as you stay relaxed I am sure you will achieve all your goals!
Nice post chronicling your half iron journey. Nutrition has certainly been one of my biggest struggles to going long in the heat too. But you've certainly come a long way and are set, I think, to meet all of your goals.
Best of luck and I'll be cheering for you!!
Post a Comment