Jen, being the great coach that she is, cautioned me that while the training for the marathon will get me nice and fit, it's not going to make me fast. I can appreciate this. I know that the 1/2 marathon distance is more conducive to retaining/improving speed, etc... but I just need to do this. I've needed to do a marathon since I went to see 'Spirit of the Marathon' in January 2008. Heck, I was only 1 month into the Couch to 5K program and yet, I knew I would do a marathon some day. So, I figured what would be a better way to celebrate 2 years worth of running then to cap it off with my first ever marathon! Yahoo!!!!
And... the marathon of choice is 26.2 with Donna: The National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer on February 21st! It just now dawned on me that the main reason why I started running in the first place was to run in honor of my late mother-in-law and my survivor grandmother in a March 2008 Komen 5K race. It's sort of fitting that the National Marathon for Breast cancer would be my first marathon. Neat! I'll be the one in pink!
THE AUGUSTA COUNTDOWN
I'm surprisingly calm in regards to Augusta. It's weird. I thought I would be a bundle of nervous energy right now, but maybe that will come next week. I'm going to start packing today. I don't want any 'last minute' stuff going on next week. I'm aiming for 'seamless' here and I hope that will keep my nerves down (should they appear). I don't know, I don't really get overly nervous for any event (thus far). I mean, the butterflies are there on race day and maybe I'm a bit moody the day before, but otherwise, I think I'm fairly calm. I guess I sort of figure that either the training/fitness is there or it isn't. In this case, I know that it's there and September 27th will be what it will be.

12 comments:
Marathon?! Woo hoo! YOu go girl! Funny my mom just asked me the other day if I was doing a marathon. My response, "Hell no!" I can't go there mentally, just like I can't go the the IM mentally at this point. I still feel like a baby just learning to walk. Great one to choose though, for a good cause.
I am so excited for you and Augusta! I am sitting on pins and needles anticipating how well I know you are going to do. You know I will stalk your results too! The "what will be, will be" attitude seemed to work for me (and my small little race).
Yeah Marathon!!!! I can't wait to hear how you take to marathon training vs. triathlon training, AND how your awesome coach trains you for a marathon. I'm jealous!
good luck at Savanah, you are going to rock it! I've been thinking about the adamo saddle recenly b/c I'm still getting issues down there, even after taking 3 weeks off. Hmmmm..
How are the furries?
I've heard from several friends who've done Run with Donna that it is a great race. I was going to do the half this year but got sick. Might try again. If so, I'll definitely let you know so we can try to meet up!
Enjoy your week and, yes, don't waste too much energy getting nervous about your race. You are ready!!
OMG, your in a state of shock!! No anxious feelings? No waking up the middle of the night to pack something a week ahead of time? Take a few deep breathes, we can bring you out of this and put you into the state of panic you should be experiencing!! LOL :)
(Just kidding)
WOO HOO! FUN times ahead! :))
so excited for you! marathons are great, my only gripe is that i wind up gaining weight! happened last time and i tred to be better this time.. but there is little you can do to reason with yourself that you don't deserve a monster sundae after running 18 miles :) it's ok, eating when you are that hungry is a treat and the pounds aren't harming my times so far, so whatevs! But the whole process is so fun, you will love it!
Can't wait for Augusta!
Marathons and 5K's scare me the most, I know, weird. Yep, they're scary. Good for you. It'll be great and for such a great cause. Go Augusta!
Fun, fun! I have heard the 26.2 with Donna is a good one. I am excited for you :)
Great news on the marathon. I cant believe how close we are to Augusta. Unfortunately, I dont get to really taper as this really is just training for my full in November
you are calm about the upcoming HIM because you are planning for 2010.... who would not be excited about that!!
I'm not quite as brave as you with the full marathon, but I had to laugh at your post because I just signed up to do a 1/2 marathon in 2010. Too funny!
Oh, and I thought of you this morning when I got my recorded call from ESI about Augusta reminding me that to pick up my packet I have to attend a race meeting and afterwards have to rack my bike between 2 and 8 pm Saturday. When they ended it with "See you next weekend!" My hands started sweating!!
Have a great race in Augusta! Glad to see you are doing a marathon.... it's so fun to do running in the offseason!
Post a Comment