Unbeknownst to most folks in blogland, I've been bike shopping for a while now. After leaving my 48cm Cervelo behind (when the frame cracked) and upsizing to a 51cm frame (b/c I knew that race wheel options would be better if I was riding a 700c), I've felt like my bike has been 'riding me', instead of 'me riding' my bike! With lots of leftover 2009 models now on sale, I jumped at the chance to own a 'my size' 50cm Felt B2.
Yesterday was my first long ride on the new bike and well, the only way that I can describe it is that it felt like 'coming home'. My saddle isn't jammed forward on the rails anymore (it sits nice and square now), my quads didn't hurt during the ride (and that's a first), so obviously I'm probably in a better position over the pedals now, and Scott couldn't stop obsessing about how much better I LOOKED on the smaller bike!
Here we are! Her name is Echo. Why Echo, is the next question, right? Well, the answer is two-fold:
1. Echo was the name one of the little Hornby Island eaglets that I watched hatch and develop on an eaglecam last Spring. Unfortunately, around her 2nd week of life, Echo got stuck to her mother via some excrement and fell to her death when her mother flew from the nest. Key point: Echo was the 2nd of two eaglets born to that particular nest. The first eaglet was dubbed 'Hope'. When Echo came along 2 days later, she "echoed" Hope's chirps! Hence, the name given to her by the watchful eaglecam community.
2. Just like how the real Echo answered her chatty sister, Hope... my new bike is 'echoing' the other two black and white bikes in our garage. So, Echo just makes sense!
Sorry for the image quality... iPhone's can only do so much, even in bright sunlight!
With Echo on our first ride
Echo and I have a little bit of work to do together before next year. She needs a new basebar (I can't get the pads on the stock set-up wide enough for my 'manly shoulders') and brake levers (which are just plain wide, clunky and definitely not the sleek Vision levers that I'm used to riding with). Right now, though, she's just perfect!
Public Service Announcement: To all women and men 5'5" and shorter (maybe even up to 5'6" since I'm just a smidgen over 5'5") do yourself and favor and get on a bike with 650s before your LBS tries to sell you a small framed bike built upon 700 wheels. Do this and you will know what it feels like to ride a well-proportioned bike (that same feeling the guy riding a 56cm with 700c feels). I swear, it's night and day! Having ridden both, I'm telling you, I will never, ever go back! OK, PSA over! :o)
In other news:
Career hunting
Week 1 sans job has come and gone. Last Monday and Tuesday were very rough spots for me. I felt like the entire world was caving in around me. I wanted nothing to do with training, job applications, family/friends. It was a pretty low spot. By Wednesday I was warming up to the idea of being jobless... and during the past few days I've had an entirely different outlook.
I'm trying to channel my negative energy regarding my job situation to positive energy regarding job hunting! I have convinced myself that I AM the best candidate for the positions that I've applied for and that if I'm lucky enough to land an interview, I will prove that beyond question to the person on the other side of the desk. Optimism!!!
Training
MiamiMan International Tri is getting closer. I have no idea how many days away it is at this point, but I already know that I'm ready. My base from the 1/2 iron is there and all I need to do is run (no walking) that entire 6.6 miles at the end of the race... and I win!
The Philadelphia 1/2 Marathon is a big question mark. If a career finds me before the race, I will not be going to Philly with Scott. If I'm still hunting, then I will be there. So right now Coach Jen has me training for Philly as if the race was 100% still on. Motivation in this regard is a bit low since the race isn't set in stone, but I'm plugging through anyway. I figure that the the long runs will benefit me no matter what... and there's a WHOLE lot of running coming up over the winter months. So it's all really money in the bank!

13 comments:
nice...... enjoy that new bike!
Hey,I hope it's not Ju-ju but we had a cat named Echo that we found on Echo Lane in Houston. He got crushed in our garage door.
I hope death doesn't surround your bike.....unless it's the death (figuretively our course) of all your fellow competitors in races.
Sweet looking new bike!!! Congrats! :)
Continued good job thoughts for you, though I'm glad you are thinking positive and enjoying training!
I am right there with you on the 650's. My first bike had 650's and loved it - now my new 'princess' QR has 700's and love them mnore :) But congrats - and how exciting is it to have a nwe bike!??! Every ride is like freaking christmas!
Good luck in Miami Man!
Sweet new ride!!
I think your attitude about the job hunt will serve you well. You will find a job, a great job!
Not that you need luck for the Miami Man, but good luck and you will finish the run without stopping, since I know this is your main reason for doing it.. I totally get you.
Awesome new ride! I hope Echo works out well for you!
is it wrong to hope that your job search ends with an amzing position that starts after the philly trip? yeah, thought so! i am sure you will have a job in no time and be wishing you had more time to relax, so live it up girl! Applicants like you don't show up in the workplace too often, so you'll be snatched up soon enough. in the meantime, you keep training for Philly and i'll keep hoping you make it up here!
Yeah! Nice bike, Echo is sleek and fast!! Sounds like you are attacking the job situation the best way. It will come around :-) I wish I had a company, I'd hire you!
Thanks for the clean eating tips... I'll give them a try!
Awesome new bike! New bikes are the best! I love the name ECHO. I used to ride 650 wheels and LOVED LOVED them....but I am 5'8" so not necessary for me...and once the bike companies started limiting the 650 selections, I switched over, but I did love them! Glad you are happy!
Nice bike there girlie!!! =) Good luck on the MiamiMan!! I'll be looking for that race report!!!
Congrats on your new ride!!
Yes, a bike that really fits is worth every penny. I have 650s on my tri bike but 700s on my road bike. Both actually fit me well but the geometry is quite different. I have Vision break levers on my tri bike and love them.
Best of luck on your job hunt and upcoming races. Keep thinking positive and you never know what you might end up with!
I was so happy to find your blog. I just did my first 2 triathlons this summer and was nervous about the swim and I searched something to the effect of "Florida open water swim tips" and your post about swimming near Pine Island popped up. I've been reading ever since. Your positive attitude and witty commentary are a breath of fresh air. I am from Ft. Myers originally so am familiar with your training grounds. Thanks again for all of tips and training advice. I look forward to reading your Miami Man race report. I am thinking of doing either this race or the IronMan half in Miami next Oct.
Post a Comment