Friday, June 5, 2009

Skin Glorious Skin!

Lately I have really been appreciating my skin. I've always been one to wear sunscreen (not that it works all that well here in So. FL), so I guess I've had some appreciation for my skin well before all of this triathlon stuff started; BUT I've now come to realize that:

1. Continuing with triathlon means that I will never again have pretty, smooth skin. Road rash = ugly scars. Call them battle wounds if you will, but they are still ugly. If only I had appreciated the beauty of my knees pre-face plant.


Day 5 of healing (with Tegaderm removed for a brief airing). The first of many wounds/scars to come, I presume.

2. Skin makes for a great canvas! I'm not talking about tattooing here; I'm talking about junior high, cliff-style writing! I'm not the only one who does this for the bike & run right?


The main set of yesterday's bike

Training updates
I am excited. This weekend will mark my longest brick ever! Focus on nutrition is paramount and I intend to start planning all of that out this afternoon. Also hoping to get down to Naples on Sunday morning to watch the Naples Fitness Challenge. This is a very popular 'reverse' triathlon. Truth be told, I want to head down there to watch the transition area & bike mount/dismounts. I personally got back on the horse yesterday and did two flying dismounts... perfectly. Why-oh-why did I fall in that race?? Ugh!

If there is one thing I can't nail down to my satisfaction it's my poor bike. When Cervelo had to replace my frame b/c the top tube had cracked, I opted to go up a frame size to the 51cm. Every now and then I feel that decicion was a mistake. I've lost a bit speed on the larger frame and it's bugging me. I also can't climb quite as fast. I'm at that height/body make-up where I can ride BOTH the 48cm and the 51cm and figured that getting parts for the 51cm (with the 700c wheels) would be easier and more plentiful. I am comfortable on the 51cm, just as I was on the 48cm... but my average speed in training & in racing has dropped.

I'm driving my poor husband insane... so lucky that he loves me dearly. Yesterday, half out of sympathy and half out of frustration (I'm sure), he told me to just Ebay everything and start anew. So instead of divorcing me for my indecisiveness, he's encouraging me to test drive again. A patient, patient man indeed! Not that I plan on doing anything with my bike at all... other than perhaps getting an updated fit.

On the Menu
I've decided to add this little blurb to my blog to help me focus on good eating. I've got about 5 pounds of jelly belly that needs to go. Today's prep includes escarole soup with lean turkey meatballs (all homemade, of course). I'm also planning on making my favorite sugar-free Jell-O pudding pie for desert. Yummers!

ETA: The fruits of my labor... and 100 extra-lean, hand-rolled mini-meatballs later:

Zuppa di scarola

12 comments:

Molly said...

Looks like you are healing up well! On the bike thing, your legs may just be tired from all the sprint races you've done lately and it's manifesting as lower power/speed. Just a thought anyway! Have a great weekend!

cheryl said...

funny that you write your workout on your arm! I remember having the coaches write our events on our arms at swim meets when we were little. You were a swimmer, weren't you, is that where you got that idea from?

take care of the road rash!

teacherwoman said...

Like I said before, the battle wounds are sexy. Is it weird to say that I am jealous!? LOL.

And I don't write on my arms. Basically because I am not cool enough to do so! Ha! I haven't been to worried about pace and so forth (yet), just getting out there and having fun for now!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I hate that too... ruining my "girly" legs if I fall. So I stay away from the "flying" mounts and dismounts, although it does make for great pictures in your blog. I prefer to just drop safes on my toes (Jan. 22 post) It toughens them up.

Well, I am taking a week off the old 90 mile training ride this week while the family and I vacation in LA, Vegas and Grand Canyon.

Cheers.

Regina said...

As God as my witness I was standing in the kitchen this morning thinking about doing a food post and thought,"Food, Glorious Food" (then couldn't get the song out of my head). I'm hearing twilight zone music, do do do do, do do do do.

My legs and knees are so scarred from years of soccer there is no hope, what's one more scar.

love the cliff notes thing, I do that for the swim and bike.

Maggs said...

I write my swim workouts on my hand. Sometimes they last the workout, sometimes not. I can send you my address and you ship me those jelly beans ;-)

LittleRachet said...

My bike workouts go on my arm (easy to read in aero) and my run workouts go on my hand. So when I have a brick, I look like I'm all tatt'd up!!!

Your legs are healing up nice. I'm attempting the dismount this weekend in my race. I've been practicing, but that pic of you will be flashing in my brain as I slooooooooowwwww doooooooowwwwwnnnnnnn!

Sherry said...

Maggs... LOL! Jelly Belly as in "MY" Jelly Belly mid-section! LOL! If I had 5lbs. of "real" Jelly Belly beans, they would last all of a day around here... my husband eats them like air! Ha!

tricia said...

That soup looks so yummy!! If you think of it...please post the recipe :) That would be perfect food for energy as I go through hours of bar prep. :)

tricia said...

I am wondering if the larger frame has caused your hip angle; pelvis in relation to your femurs and your knee angle to decrease thus decreasing the overall power of the glutes, quads and hamstrings. Sometimes a little change in that angle can either help or hurt you. You may need the smaller frame. I'm just guessing here without seeing you. :)

KimsRunning said...

That soup looks FABulous! Yumminess!!!!

My knees are pretty scarred up these days, but I can't see them so I forget...lol.

How's Sondra doing???

Hugs!!!

Ordinarylife said...

Begin appreciating your toes and toenails too..... Mine are now a disaster area!!!

And you can't post food like that without posting a recipe. Looks yummy!