I finished my first Oly distance tri in 2:40 (MiamiMan) or so, so I knew that 3:15 would be challenging to me. Prior to yesterday I had never ridden my bike for more than 40 miles straight, so I knew that adding those extra 8 to 10 miles would be a physical effort. I also knew that running afterwards was going to tax me similarly to MiamiMan. Since we had no choice but to have a late start (10:45AM) the temperatures ranged between 87 and 89F during ride/run. I won't even factor in the Florida humidity for you or I'd have to write up heat indexes into the mid-90s.
The main goal yesterday (aside from putting in the time) was to focus on nutrition. I started working on a plan Saturday morning and settled on consuming 200 cals and 24oz of liquid per hour. Sodium content was to be 550 mg per hour for this crusty, salty sweater. Intake was a mix of Cytosport, Nuun and the new PowerBar energy balls. This was my first time using Cytosport and I was much less gassy with it than with InfiniT. Although I don't like the taste of it enough to buy it again.
So... off Scott & I went. We chose to ride most of the ride out at Babcock Ranch (pretty much a windy, 10 mile loop with maybe 1 car per hour). The first 35 miles went very smoothly. I was actually surprised at how well I felt. I was maintaining between 17 and 18 mph in high Zone 1/low Zone 2. Excellent! Of course, then came 'unknown' territory. Right around mile 42, I started getting uncomfy. My crotch hurt, my shoulders hurt, I could feel myself getting sloppy with my handling and posture and my legs were starting to feel tired. I was also running out of liquid. I definitely short-changed myself on the liquid department. I'm guessing now that I need 100oz of fluid (not 75oz) for a 2:45 to 3 hr ride (1 Liter per hour). By mile 47, I wanted OFF the bike! I had to unclip to cross over a main highway and I almost had a slo-mo clipless pedal accident b/c I was fatigued. Ack! OK... this is only going to make me stronger! Made it home for a total of 48 miles and then it was on to the run.
I ran inside, grabbed the cold bottle that I had left in the fridge, strapped on my Newtons and off I went. OMG! Hot, hard, heavy! Mile 1 --> a turtle pace of 10:23!!! If I pushed any harder than that, my HR would move out of prescribed zone 2 and up into zone 3. Before the end of the first mile, my once cold bottle was already warm. Finally, admitting defeat to hydration and the weather, I started Gallowalking without any shame at all. I Gallowalked the next 20 minutes, trying to work in some of my prescribed pick-ups during the times that I felt well enough to run. On my last pick-up, I switched back over to what I call Newton-style running (i.e- fast cadence, quick turnover) and was finally able to manage something sub-9 pace-wise.
REFLECTIONS
So... a big learning experience for me. I know that upping the mileage on the bike always hurts at first and then you settle into it like anything else. I can still remember when 20 mile rides were my 'long' rides and oh-the-pain to go any longer than that. Now 40 miles feels good and I assume that with work & time, 50 (and then 60 and 70) will come to feel ok as well.
Running... well, that's always the big question mark for me. I don't think I'll ever be a strong runner off the bike unless I really get my nutrition needs down (or I move to a cooler climate). I am SUCH a sweater. It's gross. I envy the people who have to pee on the bike; that's never, ever me... I'd probably have to take in 50oz an hour to have to actually pee. So, I shall continue to experiment and just hope that things improve with time. I certainly don't mind Gallowalking (there's no shame in that game for me), but of course, I'd rather not.
This week is a rest week and I have an end of the week trail run on the schedule! YAY! Excitement abounds! Me looooves the trails! I probably should have gone down the Xterra path; maybe someday.
ON THE MENU
Today is mixed berry smoothie day! I love this smoothie, but don't get to make it all that often. Berries can be soooo expensive! Sometimes I opt for frozen berries in my smoothies, but they just don't taste the same. Lucky for me, Publix had all three FRESH varieties on sale yesterday.
And so, my wonderful 'off day' lunch:
Vanilla Whey Gourmet Protien Powder
Fresh red raspberries
Fresh blueberries
Fresh strawberries
Skim milk
Crushed ice to 'fluff'

7 comments:
I'm having the same struggles with the nutrition/hydration on the longer rides/bricks too, Sherry. I'm clearly not experienced enough yet with these 60 mile rides to know what I need. But that's what Jen is for!! She'll get us on the right path.
And that smoothie looks YUMMY! I may be having one of those this afternoon. I use OJ in my concoction instead of milk, in case you ever want to try it! :D
As soon as you hit your nutrition right on the head - you'll long ride/run bricks will feel awesome! (I know I know - sounds like a lie) But it's true :) Just keep it up - you'll figure it out! Congrats on the great brick though!
Gasp at running in the South Florida humidity. Good for you :)
With over 100 days before your half, you still have a lot of long bricks to practice your nutrition on and get it right. Once you do, you'll be rockin'!! At least you are paying attention to what's working and what isn't, and adjusting accordingly. That was a tough brick! Good job!
I am now craving berries....
You are really getting better - just think how far you have come!!! Running off the bike whenever you add on distance is as tough mentally as it is physically, and by adding in FL weather - well hell! Great job!
You should defnitely give xterra a try. They are tons of fun. ANd a great compliment to road racing, a nice change of pcae, mental break, they make you strong in different ways. One day I expect to bump int you at one. For now, hopefully I can track you down at AUgusta! woohoo. 70.3 is a fun distance. I hope you enjoy the training, it sounds like you are doing great, and enjoying it.
Post a Comment