Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dreaming of 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year.  No, it's not Christmas.  It's time to scout out potential races for 2011!

Last year I said that I was going to make 2010 a short-course year.  Of course, I got antsy about doing another half-ironman--just so I knew that the first one wasn't a fluke--and those short-course plans fell to pieces.  However, 2011 is going to be about short course.  My reason for this is three-fold and has been well thought out over the past 2 years.

First, I'm a runner.  I may not be a naturally gifted runner, but I am a dedicated runner.  I want to become the best runner that I can be and for that to happen, I need to give it some added attention.  Second, I loathe the bike training required for the 1/2 iron.  I gave it a fair chance again this year, but I've concluded that I'm just not a fan.  It grosses me out to have to eat all of those calories during longer 3 and 4 hour rides.  Every time I begin a build for a half-iron I end up walking around feeling bloated and gross (and at least 4 pounds heavier).  I do not like this.  I definitely feel more fit and way more healthy during a short-course training block.  Finally, it was a 6-hour process yesterday for a 65 mile ride when you factor in pack-up, drive to location, unpack, start ride, do the ride, pack-up, drive home, un-pack, clean all bottles, shower, etc...  There are horses for courses and I have no problem being one of Blogland's few short-course AG representatives.

Running.  I don't know why it is that running has gotten under my skin and taken ahold of my soul.  I think I can safely say that I am a slightly better short-course triathlete than I am a runner (and I think this is mostly due to the swim), yet if you told me that I had free entry to either a local sprint tri or a local 10k race, I would hand's down chose the 10k.

There is something about running that makes me feel so alive.  It reaches a part of me that triathlon doesn't.  I'm more engaged in my surroundings when I run.  I'm able to safely look at plants and animals, listen for sounds that I normally take for granted and enjoy some time off the beaten path.  I usually finish a swim session bored to tears (and yes, I do swim sets), I typically always want off the bike at the 30-40 mile mark, yet I sometimes have to stop myself from continuing on with a run when the workout is over.

So, the above is my approach to 2011, now let's move on to the good stuff!

{insert drum roll, please}

January 8:  Walt Disney World Half Marathon.  This will be my tune-up race for February's marathon and hopefully I'll be able to catch-up with Melissa and Jen C. from 2009 tri camp.  I'll be missing the River, Roots and Ruts trail run this year in order to do this event.  It's probably going to kill me to miss it, but I know that nothing replaces a really good race tune-up and since it will have been more than a year since I raced a half marathon (and my running has come a long way since), I'd like to see what I can do.

February 13:  National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer- 26.2 with Donna.  My first marathon.  I am beyond excited!  It's the kind of excitement that I have experienced only twice before:  my very first 5k and my very first triathlon.  I'm positive that I'll be crying at the start line.  This is unknown territory for me.  My goal is to finish.  I do have a very liberal, ultra-padded, sure to not miss time goal, but my main goal is to just cross that line.  I can worry about time the next 'go round.

March 20:  Gator Sprint Triathlon or Gator Sprint Duathlon.  I have always wanted to do a duathlon.  I've heard that they are quite tough and really challenge one's ability to pace.  We'll see.  This race is fairly close to home and what I really like is that there are shorter races going on while the half is going on.  I like the idea of being able to CHEER when I'm finished with my race!  My legs will only be just over 1 month out from the marathon, so this race would be done just for fun and would serve as a 'marker' for the beginning of tri season.

April 11:  Nautica South Beach Triathlon.  This would be the 'glam' race of the year.  They offer a classic course (.5 mile swim, 19 mile bike, 4 mile run) and an Olympic distance course.  Sounds like it would be fun and I could do some celebrity spotting.

May 1: St. Anthony's Triathlon.  Olympic distance.  Unfortunately this race is now part of the "Ironman 5150" series. I deferred my registration from 2010.  I'm not really overly excited about this race, but maybe eventually that will change.  It's a big race.  Lodging and parking logistics are typically a nightmare.  The swim is typically very rough, which is okay by me, but calm waters are always appreciated.  This will be a nice "one and done" race for me.

June 2011:  Naples Fitness Challenge.  This is a very popular reverse triathlon (5k run, 15k bike, 1/4 mile swim).  I've been eyeballing it for a few years now, but it never really fit into the schedule.  This fun race has great scheduling potential for 2011.

Summer 2011:  Zoomers summer race series.  I'm hoping to hit as many of these local 5k/10k events that I can.  It's boiling hot out, but I need to continue to learn proper pacing at the shorter distance and there's no better way to learn than to get out there and just do it.

July 2011:  Englewood Sprint Triathlon.  I would definitely consider doing this local race again.  The course was nice, the race fee wasn't astronomical and it's only a 40 min. drive from our house, so no hotel fee.

August 20, 2011:  USAT Age Group Nationals in VERMONT!  I should hopefully qualify at St. Anthony's since it's a regional qualifier (top 33% of AG qualifies).  If not I will have to work my butt off, stop coming in 2nd all of the time and actually win my AG again.  I am well aware that I will get my butt handed to me at this race and will probably finish in the bottom 5% of my AG, but I care not!  I didn't go to Nats last year when I qualified and I should have- for the experience alone.  This year, because I chose small, local races (and ended up maid-of-honor at both), I didn't meet the qualifying %.  I refuse to miss out on Vermont and that's incentive enough for me to work HARD!  The race is in New England! New England!  I cannot resist.  Heck, I'd register for Sprint Nats just to have an excuse to race in Vermont!  Bring on the Ben & Jerry's!

OFFICIAL END OF 2011 TRIATHLON SEASON!  SHORT & SWEET!

The remainder of 2011 will be filled with the joy of running.  I'm sure there will be a couple of 5k and 10k races as well as a Florida-based half marathon and perhaps a 'destination' half marathon.

After three triathlon-focused seasons, I'm really excited to change things up a bit.  2011 will be the first year that I'll end the tri season before November!  Glory be!  I will also go into the year with some focus:  short course triathlon and running!  I think they will compliment each other quite nicely.

15 comments:

LittleRachet said...

I like your schedule! Get your A race in early and then enjoy the rest of the season. I'm still noodling my plans after TX. Maybe a fall marathon - would be my first as well. We'll see.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Everybody's "thing" is different. When I was your age, my thing was marathons. Still is with some other "things" added in, but anyway I digress.
Quite a schedule you have there. I will see you at St Ant. (guess I will volunteer for the WTC, if I have to...)

Runners Fuel said...

Love the schedule!!

Christi said...

Great schedule! I can't wait to read all the race reports for 2011! Good luck and go kick butt!

RockStarTri said...

Sounds like a great agenda. I may join you at StA. I deferred too but didn't know it was a 5150.

Joel said...

Great plans for next year.

You will LOVE the 26.2 with Donna. I did this race last year as my first marathon. It is an amazing race - with awesome volunteers, spectators, and the track can't be beat! I'm actually considering doing it again in Feb.

A couple of months ago, I interviewed Donna Deegan on my blog. Check it out. She's an amazing woman.

Aimee said...

Sounds like a great plan! I really need to start figuring out my 2011 schedule!

Regina said...

Nice schedule; very thought out. There is an interesting thing going on in my head with running lately; I am beginning to like it, look forward to it. That is so not me, I hate running...or I did. I still suck at it, but whatever. The bike is my strongest event (and that isn't saying too much) and I have no desire to ride...AT ALL.

I love the local road races here with the New York Road Runners. They are super well organized and fun.

Way to set your sights on Nationals...you'll make it.

Still sussing out my season plans.

Unknown said...

SOunds like a reasonable plan!! Hey you know what you like and that is all that matters!

liz said...

Schedule looks very balance. Good luck !

Chris said...

looking good, esp love the half and full marathons, can't wait to see how you like the full! but i will warn you - i have never been as hungry as i am during marathon training - i gained weight both times :) so the whole eating less during workouts/before/after might be out the window for those 16 weeks if you are anything like me :) but man oh man, food never tastes as good as after a 20 miler!!

Emily said...

Great schedule! Can't wait to read the race reports.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you're read 'Born to Run'? It definately explains a lot of why you feel so alive when running.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Oh how fun! The planning part of Triathlon is one of the best!!! :) And, the running is so pure and simple! :) Yay Sherry!!

Katie said...

Awesome schedule, I'm taking it one to two months at a time. But I have my first tri (sprint) scheduled for August, I might try to find one in June or July for practice.