Friday, September 3, 2010

Butterflies mean that I care

As I sit here on the eve of the Venice Sprint Triathlon, butterflies flapping around in my belly, I'm reminded of how much I care about this sport.

Tomorrow's triathlon is pretty much a quick blip on my radar.  With Florida 70.3 and Beach2Battleship HIM taking center stage in 2010, I find myself wondering why in the world there's any flapping going on at all.  Heck, just this morning I spent over 2 hours filling iCal with 18 weeks worth of marathon training.  Now that's scary stuff!  Tomorrow, not so much.

A fellow triathlete, good friend and the person I consider to be my mentor in this sport (even though he may not realize it), told me prior to one of my last events that having butterflies before a race--any race-- means that you care.

And I do care.

I often like to delude myself into believing that a particular race isn't all that important to me, but truth be told, they are all important to me.  I don't know "A" race, "B" race, "C" race.  I may be more tapered or less tapered for a particular race, but even if I had been out doing 25 miles of hard intervals yesterday, I would still hit that Gulf tomorrow as if I were competing for a slot in the Olympics.  I care about my training, I care about my performance, I care about the sport in general.

I would like the butterflies to be still.  I have a lot of other things on my mind.  My beloved grandfather is seriously ill, I miss my cat more than words can express and I've been agonizing over a few issues regarding work/school.  I feel grumpy, irritable, fat, bloated, tired, and achy.  Ninety percent of me does not want to do this race tomorrow.  I want to hit the snooze button at 4AM and stay under the covers.

But I won't.  I know this because I have butterflies right now.  They refuse to settle.  The butterflies mean that I care.

11 comments:

Aimee said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope that he gets better soon!
Good luck in your tri this weekend! You are going to do great...especially since you have butterflies! :)

Keith said...

When you said Venice triathlon, I had this instant vision of competing for swim space with Gondolas, biking along the ramp bridges along the Grand Canal, and getting lost in the narrow streets during the run. Then I remembered there is a Venice Florida. Have fun with the race!

Molly said...

Even after doing an Ironman, I still get butterflies before a sprint. No matter what the distance we are putting ourselves out there and taking a risk each time we race, so it's natural to worry! GOOD LUCK TOMORROW! I know you will kick serious butt!

Christi said...

Wow, that is a great post! I am sorry about your grandfather. I understand missing your cat. When my Skinner passed away I was devastated! I will keep you in my prayers!

Have a great race!

Maggs said...

I always got bigger butterflies before sprints than IMs. It's not as easy to overcome something in a sprint.

And A, B or C race, most of us push the same for all of them, it's just where they fall in the training and how much taper they get that's the different. Good luck!

Even though you're training for longer distances right now, you'll probably surprise yourself with how well you do in the short stuff.

Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex said...

I'm sorry things in your life are rough right now :( Hang in there.

Good luck tomorrow! When I was in middle school, I came up with this saying, "Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment." Being excited or nervous is really almost the same as being excited, it's just how I choose to feel about it. *hugs*

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You are racing as this is posted, so I hope you had a great race and good vibrations and prayers for your gpa..

Libby said...

hey girl! have fun at your sprint, butterflies are good :) hope it went well!!! sorry to hear about your grandpa. sometimes life throws us a whole bunch of curveballs all at once.
headed to port charlotte right now! if you are in town this weekend, would love to meet up for a swim, dinner or whatever!! my cell is 904 347 5505. if you are busy no worries, we are down lots with my husband's fam.
I bet you feel 100% better after the race :) racing has a way of making things in life better :)

Regina said...

Hell, I get butterflies before a key run, swim or bike in training. I have, what I like to think are termites before races!

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather and am sending prayers his way.

I know this is a late comment to your post and you have already run your race, but I hope you had some fun.

Anonymous said...

Good luck for tomorrow. Here there is a different Venice but I am sure you would enjoy this one too. Sorry for the grandfather and the cat (I have a devon rex lady cat).

triathlon gear said...

A lot of people drag themselves to work out, more so, compete in a triathlon, treating it like a job for fitness' or reputation's sake. People like you should be lauded, that despite countless events, you still manage to keep those butterflies linger in your stomach.