Run 4 A Reason 5K
August 14, 2010
This is going to be a short report, simply because my race was over and done with before it ever really began.
The scenario:
5k race on a familiar course
90F heat index at 7:30AM
Near heat exhaustion the weekend preceding the race
Three full days off a few days before the race due to aforementioned heat issue
A very antsy runner who now feels fat, bloated, etc... due to taking 3 days off.
Pre-race:
Size up competition at the start line. There is hardly anyone here.
Line-up behind the HS cross country girls b/c I would rather get run over by someone behind me than have to mow over a walker.
Heart rate is already 120 bpm and I haven't even started running.
Take a few deep breaths to slow HR. It doesn't work.
Mile 1:
Take off at what I 'think' is a moderate pace. Good for the start of a 5k. Remind myself of the importance of pacing.
Half mile in, I notice I am behind 2 cross country girls and their coach (an absolutely awesome athlete who usually wins all of the local 5K races, but happens to have an injury right now).
Think to myself: She's injured, she'll be taking it easy. I can just settle on in right here.
Boy, I am breathing a bit hard. Do I always breathe this hard at the beginning of a 5k?
Garmin buzzes. Mile 1 split.
New PR in the mile (not that I've ever raced a mile before).
I am mad at myself for chasing bunny rabbits.
Mile 2:
I slow my pace to what I 'should' be running, but it is too late. I am eating rabbit turds.
Heart rate reaches 190 and stays there for a bit. I wonder exactly how many beats I have left before I reach max HR and fall dead to the ground.
Garmin buzzes. Mile 2 split. Perfect-- if only I hadn't bombed mile 1.
Mile 3:
The first quarter of mile 3 comes and goes and I'm still holding on.
At the turn-around I see 3 women hot on my heels. They are around my own age; the cross country girls & their injured coach are long gone.
At mile 2.5, all 3 women pass me like I am standing still. Oh wait, at this pace standing still would be faster.
I want to sit down.
Mile 3.1:
I find myself pacing well-- for a PR in the half marathon!
The finishing kick that I usually have is not there.
A few men blaze by me. Weren't these the same men who were 1/2 mile behind me at the end of mile 1?
I jog into the finish chute. I volunteer offers me a high five.
I smile.
End result:
For such a craptasticly executed race, I went home pleased. As we all know, I do not "do" heat. Despite this, I ended up with a course PR. My previous PR on this course was set when it was 50F out. I would consider that improvement.
Moral of the race report:
Do not chase rabbits (even injured ones), lest you will eat rabbit turds.
12 comments:
Well done! Another moral is HS XC girls are crazy! (this from a father of a 14 yo at a sleep away XC camp in the mountains so she can get ready for the season)
50F or 100F whats the difference? Twice as hot, twice as fast, right?
Good job and new look on the site? Can't remember if it's been like this for a while.
Come on! You have to chase them from time to time!
Sorry your race did not go as planned, but great work. It is tough to always know what you should be pacing at, especially in the heat. I still say good job.
Ha ha...this was a hilarious post! Love the lesson learned! Good job on the course PR! :)
This post was very funny! Great job on the race even if you did have to eat rabbit turds!
Good job on the course PR. I dno't do heat either!
Haha!! This cracked me up!! Good job on the 1 mile PR! :) I don't do heat well either but I live in Seattle and fortunately don't have do deal with it too often.
Great race report! I don't do heat either! Nice job!
rabbit turds...ha! Ok, my 4 year old's humor is rubbing off on me.
Congrats on the PR!
Hi;-)
just started following you simply from your response to Regina's AKA chui on this's post.
we got a lot in common;-)
Hi!
just started 'following' you simply from your comment left from regina's CHUI ON THIS blog;-)
Yay! What a great time!!
Post a Comment