Friday, June 25, 2010

Shoe Review: Saucony ProGrid Kinvara

In high school, Asics were favored by my friends who ran cross country.  Since I needed sneakers (yes, 'sneakers'-- Jersey girl here), I chose to wear Asics too.  In college I was left on my own to decide what sneakers would be appropriate for walking around campus.  I chose Saucony.

Throughout my twenties and right up until I began running at the ripe old age of 31, I continued to wear Saucony brand shoes.  I didn't know squat about cushioning or stability technology; all I knew was that they were founded right next door in Pennsylvania and that they felt like pillows on my feet!

When I decided to take up running I selected a pair of Asics Gel-Nimbus based on the fact that I have very high arches (ballerina feet).  They were very nice shoes, but not nearly as cushioned as the Saucony pair that I was coming out of.  Still, my mind recalled what my high school cross country friends wore-- that was good enough for me.  About 8 months after I began running, I needed new shoes.  A "shoe shop dude" told me that despite my high arches, I overpronate with my right foot.  He put me in a stability shoe.  I have since taken myself out of stability shoes, but that's a whole other story.

Since that time, I've clocked mileage in a variety of different shoes:  Mizuno Nirvana (caused me to supinate), Mizuno Inspire (nice, but quick wearing), Asics Gel-Kayano (um, bricks), Nike LunarTrainer (lots of cushion, but really weird forefoot fit), Nike Zoom Triax (caused arch pain), Nike LunarGlide (great cushion, but clunky), Nike Zoom Vomero (one of the better contenders).

The only brand of shoes that I have run consistently in has been Newton. I've been using them since late 2008. Despite the fact that I love the flexibility, the responsiveness, the cushioning and especially how they fit my foot, for whatever reason I continue to view them almost as if they were racing flats-- a specialty shoe.  I have no idea 'why' I do this, but whatever the case it causes me to search for some sort of complimentary training shoe sans lugs.

Enter the SAUCONY PROGRID KINVARA.

This much hyped shoe reached my radar in late May.  I had been using Newton's Lady Isaac (non-stability) as my "training shoe" since the lugs are practically non-existent and the outsole seems to be more durable than regular Newtons.  Unfortunately, the Lady Isaacs are stiff and hard.  They are nothing like the original Newton trainers and totally not the shoe for me.  I love both Newton Motion & Gravity models, but I've disliked every mile in the Lady Isaacs .

When folks started talking about how the new Saucony Kinvara was not only featherweight, but also superbly cushioned, it was difficult for me to resist a purchase.  I picked up the Kinvaras for a super sweet deal and waited anxiously for them to arrive on my doorstep.

At first glance I was unimpressed with the plastic-feeling "mesh" overlay.  As a super-sweater, I'm a big fan of mesh, but this is not mesh.  It's plastic with tiny holes in it.  If you run your finger over it, it sounds like vinyl.  Underneath this mesh are larger, woven drainage holes done in a cotton/poly-esque material (you can see them through the overlay).   These larger, breathable holes remind me of the construction of my Newton trainers.  I adore this type of breathable knit.  The overall design of the shoe is attractive and well, it just looks fast!  In my opinion, Saucony has a history of putting out some very boring looking shoes, but these are different-- in a Fastwitch sort of way.

The sockliner is thin & flimsy.  I put my own sockliner in all my shoes and I did the same with these.  When I slipped the Kinvaras on my feet, the first thing that I noticed was that the interior of the shoe has a very low volume.  This worried me a bit as my high arches lead to a high instep.  Hence, I require a shoe with a good bit of midfoot volume for comfort.  I loosened the laces as much as I dared to and slipped the shoes back on.  Still a snug fit; probably would cost me some time in transition.

Appropriate toe clearance was achieved by going up 1/2 a shoe size.  My normal shoe size is 7.5 and I typically purchase all of my running shoes in size 8.  These were no exception.  The shoe definitely has a glove-like fit, but once my foot was laced up inside, it felt like a second skin.  Nothing felt overly tight or snug.  Overall, in terms of ease of putting on the shoe and then overall feel once on, I'd have to give the edge to my Newton trainers.

The feel... ahhh... this is the Saucony of yesteryear!  Cushion!  Cushion!  Cushion!  I haven't felt cushion like this since Nike launched the first version of the LunarTrainer a couple of years back (with the waffle sole).  For as light as the Kinvaras are, it's amazing that they have the amount of cushioning that they do. Compared to my Newton trainers, Saucony has a slight leg up in the cushioning department with these shoes.

Let's go for a run!  I have put 30 miles on my Kinvaras since they arrived last week.  They have a few 6 and 7 mile runs on them, as well as a couple of 5 milers, two short brick runs and even a bit of speed work.  They have performed well during every training session.  The forefoot cushioning is in a word... outstanding.  The shoes are also light and flexible (so even us lightweights can get a good 'bend').  Despite my aversion to the vinyl-like "mesh" overlay, these shoes do breathe well and dry out fairly quickly.

My main concern is durability and the fact that my tread wear is showing signs of supination on both shoes.  Rarely do I ever see clear indicators of supination on my soles (the only other time this happened was when I was in a shoe with too much stability control), but there is no doubt that the tread on the mid-forefoot and lateral side of the outsole is wearing more quickly than anywhere else.  So the supination is a concern as is the fact that I'm seeing clear tread wear at only 30 miles.  At this rate, these shoes are going to hold up about as well as my Newton Distance S racers have.  If I showed you the bottom my Newton racers with only 42 miles on them, you would run in the opposite direction.  It looks like a combine ate them. The Kinvaras aren't quite that bad, but still, I have some durability concerns.

In conclusion, the Kinvaras will not replace my Newton trainers.  I like them well enough to keep a pair on hand for treadmill running or just as a pretty shoe to match a pink outfit, but my heart belongs to Newton.  What I need to do is train my brain to stop thinking of my Newtons as a "specialty" shoe.  They fit my feet, they fit my style of running, we get a great deal on them because of the type of work that Scott does... so I shouldn't even be looking at anything else.  But hey-- some girls like fancy high heels, I like running shoes.

ON THE MENU

Pizza lust was in full swing this week.  It had been a while since we ate the cheesy-queasy and we could hold out no longer.  I grabbed some whole wheat dough and went to town!

The results:  super yummy, whole wheat pizza with portobello mushrooms and canadian bacon!  Yes, we ate the entire thing.

6 comments:

Eileen Swanson said...

Cool Blog. Thanks for stopping by mine. Love the pics of your kitty cats and pup ;-))

Tricia said...

great review!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

dang woman... how many shoes do you have?? I'm kind of like the Rarámuri tribe in northern Mexico... I just find a piece of tire or something and strap it on my feet..... Now that I think about it, maybe that's my problem??

Anonymous said...

Those shoes are priiiiity! I heart Saucony. Have been wearing them since 1989! I love them b/c they feel so cushiony.

Mmmm, that pizza looks good! You put me to shame in the kitchen :(

Jill said...

I just bought these shoes, by a recommendation of a friend (Kellysrunningwarehouse.com has them for WAY cheaper than stores) b/c I have problems with my heel (curse stability shoes) and ws told these were excellent cushioning. I won't wear them for long runs or intense training, but I do like them and will wear them for shorter races. I got the blue ones though...as much I love pink, I thought the pink soles were awfully loud. Haha. Thanks for your review!!

Regina said...

Nice review, thanks! I read somewhere that these were Saucony's answer to the Brooks Launch (which is what I wear and LOVE!). I like the loud colors, I hate sedate looking shoes.

I too considered my Brooks Launch as a specialty shoe and mostly wore my Asics Gel Cumulus for training. However, those Brooks kept creeping into longer and longer runs, so that I rarely wear my Asics anymore.

Damn women! You didn't even save me a slice? That's harsh!