TOP 10 RACE WEEK THOUGHTS:
10. I have been debating on whether or not to wear a speedsuit for this race. Melissa was super kind enough to loan me hers, but I've been nervous about using it b/c it has long legs and I'm afraid that I will sweat to death before the race even starts. However, the fear of my tri tank & shorts blowing up like balloons and making me stay in that lake waaay longer than I want to (have I mentioned how much I hate swimming in this particular lake?) has prompted me to give it a go despite the morning heat/humidity. Don't worry, I'll be practicing in the suit at Lucky's Lake on Saturday... so no race day surprises. Current water temp = 83F.
9. The next fews days have been planned out almost to the hour. Now I don't have to think. I can just look at my printout and voila... "that's next!"
8. Everything is packed, except for my dog because I can't bare to take him to my mom's tonight like I was scheduled to do. I don't sleep well without him. So, I'll be dropping him off bright and early in the AM. Yes, I have revised the schedule to reflect that.
7. My fingernails have been groomed nice and short (so that I don't poke a hole in Melissa's speedsuit).
6. My toenails, also freshly groomed, have been polished blue to somewhat match my tri top. I was going to go for my fav. race color combo of blue + pink (every other toe), but I thought that would be overkill.
5. I have managed to gain only 1/2 lb. so far this week despite eating many chocolate covered strawberries and more boxed cereal than I care to admit. Considering my training volume has been pretty much non-existant (hello, taper), I'm happy with that number.
4. I'm feeling nice and hydrated... light lemonade pee all week. My Tanita scale says that my water volume has increased by 1%! Hmmm, that could be that 1/2 pound (see #5).
3. My friggin' "friend" is over 2 weeks late and I'm positive that she's going to show up like clockwork on race morning.
2. I've been going outside every day this week at 1:30PM to see what the weather feels like. I imagine I'll be finishing up around this time. Um, yeah, it's pretty warm. The seemingly good news is that I have noticed Sunday's forecast high is settling around 88-89F on many of the e-weather sites.
1. I'm freaking out about my hair. It's at an odd length. Nearly too short to braid, but too long to not do something with. Then there's the the question about how to deal with curly, growing out bangs? I know, I know, this is a triathlon... grooming shouldn't matter all that much. However, I will always be a girlie girl at heart (and a wee bit insecure about my hair). I would rather my pictures not make me look like Bozzo is a relative. Someday, I'll have to write about the raging hair and make-up obsession that I used to have (um, still have).
TOP 5 RACE DAY EXPECTATIONS:
5. Finish... on my feet, smiling and not in the medical tent having lost more than 3% of my body weight. Afterall, this is 'Operation Beat the Heat'. If I end up in the med-tent or as a DNF, the mission has failed.
4. My husband will race smartly and join me, on his feet and smiling, at the finish line.
3. I am a smarter athlete this year. I will pace myself properly on the bike. Ideally, I will negative split this bike course. For not having hills near me, I tend to climb them well and the central Florida rollers shouldn't be too much of an issue. I also fare well with the wind. The course itself isn't going to throw anything at me that I can't handle.
2. I love to run. I will run that African-grassland half marathon to the best of my ability. I have learned that my legs can hold up to a lot more than I used to think that they could. Just because they are hurting doesn't mean that there isn't anything left in them. I will trust that they will carry me through the entire run. I will run faster than I ran at Augusta. If I don't PR anywhere else in this race, I will PR that run! I will, I will, I will!
1. I will do everything that I can to keep my core temp down. This is absolutely KEY to race day success for me. I will balance my fluids properly and not be tempted to overdo the salt. I will grab two sponges early on and not let them out of my sight. I will take a moment to soak my forearms in the ice pools on the run course if necessary. I will walk if necessary (but I'm still going to PR).
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! I'll return on Sunday night with a report from mission control.
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! I'll return on Sunday night with a report from mission control.
18 comments:
I HATE that lake too as it was the site of my worst swim ever (there, of course, is no evidence of this since my timing chip is still at the bottom of that dayum lake).
I probably would pass on the speed suit unless I would be able to practice a lot beforehand with it.
It seems like your head is on straight. Ready to rock this race.
Rock on!
Do you speak Chinese??? I could swear the post above me is Chinese. Arabic?? Sandscript?? Japanese??
Well anyway. I'll pray for a cold front to help you on your way. And you know what the ancient Chinese proverb says (I think it's above....... xx**2??( ,,siI ne; have ...!:???? a ..3&y9d good 7-- race .a===ico.
Have FUN!!
Thanks for the good luck wishes, although I can't really read what you wrote Glennie! I'm just going to assume it's positive. Maybe there's a language converter somewhere on this site. Need to check on that.
RockStar, that is just too funny (not funny in that your timing chip sunk, but you know what I mean). That lake just bites. It's a sloooow lake. I don't know why, but it just is. LOL!
Yep, I'm taking a chance withe Speedsuit. Hopefully my swim at Lucky's will solidify whether or not I will use it. I probably will though, as I won't be breaking any records in that rotten lake anyway. LOL! Might as well be comfortable and not 'feel' my tri tank. :o)
BOB... ROFLMAO!!! Thank you, I needed that tonight! There is less tension in the air. I can sleep now.
Thanks for all of your support!
OK... the Chinese language comment from above. Gone. SPAM!!! Not cool. Glennie has been banished.
It sounds like you are ready to ROCK your HIM! I love your positive attitude! Good luck, good luck, good luck! :)
My advice for keeping your core temp down is to put ice down your bra. Not sure if you're wearing a swim suit or not, but a bra holds the ice right next to your heart, so you are cooling the blood as it goes out to the body. When I do this my HR drops about 10 BPM. The sponges make you feel cool, but don't really do much to cool you. Good luck this weekend.
Best of luck to you this weekend, Sherry!
Looks like you've got a sound plan for this race. I wish I could meet up with you at Lucky's tomorrow. There is actually a pancake breakfast fundraiser being held too after the swim. No cost, but donations are being accepted.
Have fun, smile and I look forward to hearing all about it next week!!
Aimee- Thank you. I did have a moment (a few moments) last year when I wasn't so positive; I'm glad I finally just let go. :o)
SSB- You got it! Ice in bra was already in the plan. Heck, sometimes during training I wrap an ice pack in a thin towel and stick it under my top! LOVE it! I may stick some ice 'everywhere' on Sunday if the supply is plentiful. Thank you for the good luck wishes!
Shirley- I sooo wish that I could meet you this weekend too. I noticed the pancake breakfast on Lucky's page last night. Scott & I will be all over that!!! Thanks for the encouragement!
GOOD luck Sherry!! Be smart and be confident and have a SUPER race!!
WooHoo! You are READY! Now go out and get 'em! You've laid out a great plan!
Your going to do great! I can't wait to hear how it goes...
It sounds like you have your race plan squared away nicely. That should take a load off. I have no doubt you will PR this race and you will finish it as planned. Be smart (as I know you are) and have a great race!! I cannot wait to read all about it!
Good luck!! And as far as growing out curly bangs....strong bobby pins go a long way!!
You are racing as I type this!!! I can't wait for the details!!!!
I have my concerns about #3....LOL!!!!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
#3 - My friend ALWAYS shows up on or during a race. Even if it didn't start before hand, I hope you were smart and plugged that thing up. I didn't ONCE, just sayin.
Can't wait to hear about it.
You sound ready, good luck!!!
Post a Comment