Sunday, April 18, 2010

Race Report: Valor 5K

VALOR 5K

5K Road Race & 5K Trail Run
April 17, 2010
Florida Gulf Coast University

I wasn't necessarily looking forward to the 2nd annual Valor 5K Road Race and 5K Trail Run this year because my focus hasn't been on anything but long, slow distance.  However, my husband's department helps put on the event, so as a supportive wife and athlete, I'm somewhat obligated to attend.

The morning of the race I was actually having some second thoughts about racing at all.  I was worried about injuring myself and then not being able to race IMFL 70.3.  I was worried that I wouldn't remember how to pace a 5K.  I was worried that I was going to be disappointed with my performance because I haven't turned over my legs at a 5K pace since last July.

All of those worries and doubts went out the window when I began my warm-up.  My legs felt good and my striders felt even better.  I did a few series of butt kicks and knee lifts and then continued to warm-up.  I put in a good two miles worth of a warm-up and made my way to the start line.

The gun went off!

First mile... 7:23.

Ok.  This is comfortably hard, but I feel ok.  Can I actually hold this pace?  I've never held this pace!

Second mile... 7:36.

Still feeling good.  No serious exchange of air yet, but I hear other folks around me starting to huff and puff.  Split is slower but still way faster than what I had anticipated.  Waaaay faster.  Cadence feels slower.  Legs turn over!

Oh great!  The course has changed this year.  There is a Florida Hill (aka bridge).  I wasn't aware of this.  Crap.

Three quarters of a mile to go.  My legs still don't hurt.  Wow.  I can push some air now.  Time to drop the girl in front of me for good.  See ya!!!

Third mile... 7:26

Yes!  Holy crap!  I'm going to PR!  Holy crap!  I was not expecting this AT ALL.  OK. Dig deep, push it until the end.  You're going to have push through the fatigue at the half iron next month, so practice pushing now!

To the finish (.14 miles by my Garmin)... 6:33 pace!

Hot damn!  23:14!!!  A freakin' 44 second 5K PR!  That is HUGE!  With no speed work, lowish mileage and darn near a full month off in January!  I am sooo freakin' stoked!  OK, smile when you cross the finish line!

And so it happened, when I least expected it, a 5K PR.  My previous PR, set November 2008 in dry, 47F weather on a completely flat (i.e. no Florida hills) course that I knew like the back of my hand was 23:58.  To run a 23:14 on a slightly more challenging course (it is still FL after all), in weather that was 20F warmer and in air as thick as soup...never would have imagined it.  I have told more than one person that I probably would never break my 5K PR without running under the exact same November '08 conditions.  I guess I shouldn't be such a pessimist.   I'm H-A-P-P-Y!  It looks like I'm chasing sub-23 now!

Finish and a new PR!  23:14!!!

After lots of congratulatory hugs from Scott, I changed my shoes and got ready for the 5K trail race.  Scott was running this race too and we talked about just taking it easy and avoiding anything that could possibly injure us.

With Scott before the start of the trail race.  Sweaty, but still clean.

The race director informed us that in order to get us back to the finish line, he had to make the course 3.25 miles instead of 3.1.  He also warned us that there were quite a few slippery spots due to the recent rainfall that we've had.  I said a silent prayer to not twist my ankle or fall on my face and knock some teeth out.  Then, we were off.

Scott and I ran the first mile or so together.  Talking here and there, feeling good.  It was fun to bound up little inclines and bounce around trees.  Last year I ran around logs.  This year I jumped over them!  Weeee!  My legs were tired, though.  There was a 40 minute wait from the time I finished the road race until the time the trail race started and my hamstrings were really beginning to tighten up.  After the first mile, I let Scott go and ran by myself.  It got very muddy and slippery.  I cautiously walked a few parts.  By the final mile, I was hurting more than I had in the 5K.  Pushing lots and lots of air and pretty much willing my legs to turn over.  I was pretty much cooked and had nothing left to give.  I crossed the line in 28:51.  Good grief, glad to be finished!

After the trail race. Looking a little wilted.

Lots of hugs from Scott at the finish (who took 2nd in his AG)... and then lots of bagel bites!  Yum!!  I don't train to eat anymore, but I do still race to eat!  Who doesn't, right?  Gotta celebrate!  What a nice treat!

This was a small local race, but I'll take the hardware when I can get it!

Road Race:  2nd place female 30-34; 6th place female overall.
Trail Race:  1st place female 30-34; 6th place female overall.

Right after collecting my hardware for the road race!  Goober!

17 comments:

cheryl said...

woop woop woop - that's awesome! congrats on the big PR!!!

teacherwoman said...

Nice job, girl! Wahoo!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

NICE!!! Check out the guy behind you in the road race. You must have passed him earlier because his stride says "OH SHIT!!"

IMFL in daylight? Dream on. Sunset at 5:30 (this boy aint doin no 10.5 hr IM)

Sherry said...

Never, say never, Bob! After all, you ARE onehourironman! But yeah, I did forget about that whole sunset deal. OK, it's no holds barred then for you at IMSG (or IMStG)!!!

Molly said...

Way to go, speed demon!!!!! What a double-race! Wow! So fast :-)

San said...

Wahoo. Wonderful job girl. Two 5 k races more or less right after another and the first with a PR. You ROCK.

Have a great week.
San

Quinton J said...

Nice work!

Regina said...

Wow! you have gotten fast Miss Thing! congrats to you and Scott. Sounds like a perfect day. I love that you are standing in front of the PB in that lat shot! Way to go!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Nice, Congrats to the both of you

Tri Mommy said...

That is awesome x2! Great job!

Jennifer Harrison said...

you know why your PRd, Sherry?
BECAUSE YOU fell in love with the sport again! The speed and fitness has always been there...but the passion and love wasn't. CONGRATS! (scott too!)

Chris said...

Hot damn, woman!! Way to go, that is fantastic!! In addition to all the training and hard work you have done (I know you said not 5k race specific, but certainly you've prob increased your pain threshold) those pounds you shed (not that you needed to, you looked amazing - although I have to say your figure is now off the hook!) also prob contributed to this great PR. Even more reason for eating healthy and taking care of the bod -faster times!!

http://completerunning.com/archives/2007/06/08/lose-weight-get-faster/

Melissa said...

Wow, nice job on the PR! Glad you are finding your mojo again :-) So excited for your 70.3!!! You are going to have a great race and have fun too!

josie (35 and Shrinking) said...

Hi there! I also did the Valor Trail Run and Road Race. Wow, I'm in awe of your times! Congratulations on a new PR and the awards. I was doing a google search for the Valor and your blog came up. I'm currently doing C25K and hope to someday be a great runner like you. Great job, and good luck in any future races!

josie (35 and Shrinking) said...

Oh, and I must have missed the race director saying the race was actually 3.25 miles! Now I don't feel quite as bad about my time for the trail run...lol.

KimsRunning said...

WOW Sherry!!!! That's soooo fabulous!!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, two fine performances in 5Ks back to back, you are AWESOME!!!